Graphics/video editing cards

I have recently editited 2 half hour shorts quite happily on a PC (Pentium 4, 2.93ghz, 512mb ram, 160gb HDD) without any custom graphics hardware added. Both projects went without a hitch and there were no hints of the hardware struggling in any way. Video and sound quality was perfect and I was totally happy.

However, a colleague has informed me if I was 'serious' I should purchase a video editing card like one of the Matrox RTX range, costing around £500.

My question is, as my projects are mainly straightforward edits with the odd fade transition, and my current hardware copes perfectly, how would spending £500 squid on this Matrox hardware enhance my quality of life?

the Matrox RTX is not a video graphic card, it's more like a 'premium' capture card, the RT stands for real time, meaning, you don't need to press enter to render and you can see the result, realistically speaking, it is a bit faster using a Matrox RTX card than without on during preview/render time, of course, you must use the transitions/effects that come with Matrox to see the real time result (which usually come with hundreds)

However, it also depends what 'serious' your friend said, if he also imply of using a broadcast television, etc, spending that money wouldn't make any difference

But if you want a faster result, what you can do is beef up your computer: invest in RAM, make it 1Gig, and invest in another hard drive your 160gb hard drive, I assume you are using that same hard drive for installing the programs? then you need one more for video clips (at least a 250gb and up), reason is simple, by having 2 hard drives, the computer access/resource wouldn't need to depend on one to pull system programs and video clips which 'might' slow it down...

So, is Matrox make it more 'serious'? not really, it does have added bonus, but that's depending what you use the editing for (if you are getting $ in for editing, down the road consider something similar). As for now, beef your machine with 1gig of RAM at least and go with another 300gb hard drive for video clips and make sure that's all your video clips located. Then you would see the difference :)

Johnny

i should add, if your motherboard uses pc2700, pc2100 or pc3200 type memories, go with pc3200, faster, also if your motherboard can go up to 2gig, go for it :) the more the better. :)

Back