• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch ...a documentary short by Spinner...

...hi, everyone...

...well, I have been on this site since March and it has been so helpful to me and it still is as I prepare for this documentary I intend to shoot...

...So, I now, for your consideration, submit the promo I prepared for a band out of Chicago called Silver Atlas. Silver Atlas is a band that may remind some of you of Bloc Party or TV On The Radio. Kind of lounge-ey, David Grey-ish, techno-flavored type of band. They are being looked at by some record labels about now and have a good shot at being picked up by someone. They allowed me to hang around and work on some of my camera skills and this allowed me to work on my editing skills. They figured: 'If it looks good, they could use it, if it doesn't, the lead singers sister gets something to practice on...

...what this was, was a dry run for the doc I am preparing for now. We used two one chip cameras and slightly assisted ambient light. I wanted the person to feel as if they were in the dim, cramped little venue with the band, the same for the rehearsal space. It is about 5min 45sec...

...I think I made some good choices for this documentary short. So, here it is and I await your critiques. I might as well develop a thick skin now :D I hope you like it... spinner :cool:

http://www.ZenWeasel.com/temp/spinner_doc.wmv Windows Version

http://www.ZenWeasel.com/temp/spinner_doc.mov Quicktime Version

Last edited:
That's awesome, Spinner!
Cameron House is a great venue- did you see all the giant ants on the outside of the building?
The band sounded fantastic, by the way- reminded me of The Dears a bit. I can't wait to see this as a feature! Are you the lead singer's sister?
You've inspired me to finish my own little mini-doc today- Thank you for that!

Spatula said:
Cameron House is a great venue- did you see all the giant ants on the outside of the building?

...yeah, the ants were great, but in the interest of time I couldn't use the close ups, cool venue. We shot this during Canadian Music Week last year...

The band sounded fantastic, by the way- reminded me of The Dears a bit. I can't wait to see this as a feature! Are you the lead singer's sister?

...I am the lead singer's very proud big sister, they kind of want me to do some more for them soon...

...thanks for the vote of confidence :)

--spinner :cool:

Looks great, Spinner :cool:

You do need to add more lighting when doing the sit-down interviews, though. Crazy shadows.

:)

...hey, Zen!

...I do agree, :yes: and thanks very much for the help putting it on the boards and for the critique!

Last edited:
That rocked! Great job. The band's pretty good too! You could make it into a feature by making one of those realtime live performance doc/video things (like The Eagles Farewell I Tour Live, Linkin Park/ Jay Z Live...you'll need more cameras). Perhaps show a different full song at each location. You have to keep it as tight as this short in between songs though because that's what made it so great to me. No boring useless footage. You have a knack for editing. I'll tell you that. Maybe you could gather some people up to help you shoot their future performances, etc. Just ideas...

LOGAN L Productions said:
Maybe you could gather some people up to help you shoot their future performances, etc. Just ideas...

...thanks, Logan...

I am very much considering doing something like this, which is why I have made investments in the equipment I have purchased. (I intend to use this stuff 'til it dies.)

...right now, the first order of business is to find a videographer for this October shoot. I am sure I sound like a broken record about this, but this is where I am right now :) Never underestimate the power of good crew...

I'm glad you liked my short :)

Right on Spinner. Diggin it. Great opening shots of the Windy.

It seems like this band is the singer's deal pretty much and I was left wondering what his history with music and performing is. How'd he meet the other musicians? Also after interviewing each of the musicians, would you consider featuring an entire song by the band so the viewer gets a good idea of their songwriting/genre? You mentioned Bloc Party, but they sound more like dave mathews band to me... Those are a couple questions that popped right in my head after my first view. Hope this helps. Keep it up. The music must be heard.

Nicely edited Spinner. I like the groups sound. almost a Radiohead vibe to it. Yes, The lighting was kind of strange. Especially with the band at times. But we know that can be expensive and a difficult thing to do if its just a single guy and a camera. although I see it was 2 single ccd camcorders.

still cool :cool:

Last edited:
Back