How do I edit my super 8 digitally?

if i'm thinking of editing digitally (say on an avid at 29.97/ntsc), what would be the best frame rate to shoot at?
i'm looking at a normal speed with no effects.
appreciate the advice.

The reason they went with 24fps when talkies came out was that was the minimum frame rate that test audienced felt worked with sound. Otherwise it was too flickery/jerky. 18 fps @ 24fps is going to appear more juttery than 24fps @ 24fps.

All major pictures of course now use 24fps, and to achieve slow mo is the same way that you are talking about, but they use 48fps, and 72fps (2x, 3x slowmo) or whatever is desired.

"If i'm thinking of editing digitally (say on an avid at 29.97/ntsc), what would be the best frame rate to shoot at?"

Theres very little information here to go by. Please post a new thread in the appropriate forum with as much info as possible (what format are you acquiring, what format will you output to? What is your ultimate destination for your film? What is the subject matter? Are you talking telecine and editing on your own comp, or in a post house?"
i'm looking at a normal speed with no effects.
appreciate the advice."

shooting format would be super 8; no sound.
telecine'd to mini dv and then cut on a non-linear ed system (either avid or fcp).
output would either be mini dv or dvd.
any slo motion work would be in camera and not with effects on post.
i will be editing it myself on a home pc.
anything else you need to know?
and what if i want to insert this in with regular dv footage?
thanks

24fps is the "normal" speed. When it's 'cined to mini-dv, that 24fps is recorded at 29.97 :)

That's more of a format conversion though; not a speed change.

what if i want to insert this in with regular dv footage?

Go for it. :cool:

There will definitely be a noticeable visual difference between the two mediums, but there won't be any editing problems using 'cined mini-dv tape and camcorder footage on a mini-dv tape.

If possible, shoot at 24 frames per second on the super 8 camera. Shoot at any speed higher than that for true "slow motion" effects (IE 32 frames per second or 54 frames per second).

During telecine tell the colourist to transfer at 24 FPS and all of the footage will be at 29.97 FPS, but with the "3:2 Pulldown", like any 24p source playing on NTSC video.Edit in Avid (or Premiere or Final Cut or Vegas) normally. Don't use any "film" settings, as those only help when you're outputting a negative cutlist, which is not possible on Super 8 as they have no edgecode burns.

If shooting on REVERSAL film stocks, try www.thetransferstation.com and ask for DOUG, He does amazing work.

If shooting on NEGATIVE stocks, the new place http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com is very good also. Cheaper prices than PRO8MM and far better service.

Back