A Master Plan?

Hello all,

I just registered here, but I'm going to ask a question I've built up after a long time of researching and reading...

I've been making short films since I was seven years old (involved Godzilla :) ), and have made my way to currently being a sophomore in college with some feature length scripts and plenty of shorts under my belt. My original plan was to get into a film school and go from there, but I've kinda ended up doing my own thing (both with writing and filmmaking itself) and am at a point now where I feel I'm ready to begin trying to break in at a professional level.

My main focus is to write in Hollywood, as it seems to be a fertile place to strike ground (instead of directing or acting right off the bat). So, the goal for me is to get some kind of representation before I graduate (ideally with 3-4 feature length scripts) in 2008. Now that you've been prefaced a little, here are my main questions: :D

What is a professional and realistic method of getting an agent in Hollywood? Are query/introduction letters the only way to fly, or is contacting them with an "outside of the box" method appropriate? Also, is the timetable (2008) realistic?

I can't thank you enough for any help/insight you can provide. :D

-Alex Bornstein

Queries are a great way to do it.
Professional contacts are the best way - get a job as a reader at a small prodCo, build a reputation, meet people and move on up.
A small sale is even better - sell a script to a small DTV company.

We all hear stories about "outside the box" methods - if it works you can be the guy we tell stories about.

No timetable is realistic. Getting an agent depends on too many factors. for example if your scripts just aren't as good as you thing they are, nothing is going to get you an agent - if your scripts are top of the line amazing, you'll get an agent quickly.

People tell me that sometimes a school connection can open some doors.

Realistically, you need to keep writing and never give up. Could take you 10 years to get an agent.

Back