Free music scoring for your films

Hi

Over the next twelve months I plan to build up a CV which will help me move from making music as a hobby into commercial work.

I can provide work that varies from very grand and orchestral to very minimal, in any style required (I have a large pool of musicians and free access to studio).

All music is custom written for specific projects according to the film-makers remit and timescale.

As i'm trying to buld up a CV, there is no charge for my work as I hope that the pieces will be of mutual benefit to both myself and the film-maker.

The way I work is quite straight foward..... You give me a remit, within a few days you will have some short samplers of ideas that fit the feel of what your after, on your approval I will then record full length pieces of music and forward these onto you with confirmation that no payment is required.

I would appreciate credit in the closing titles and feedback would also be appreciated.

screamimngpeach@tiscali.co.uk

I think you, and all of the other so called "composers" are really making a mistake by "giving" the use of your music for free. It is ruining the "business" of music for film and television. If you write a song or something... great, but there are many people that are working hard and trying to support their lives in this area of music. So, by giving filmmakers music for free messes it up for us. Do you think the people that supply food (craft services) to the film productions are doing that for free?

Anyway, I wish you and all of the other people that want to be working as a composer in the film biz great luck. But you shoul not be doing it for free.

To the film makers.... you get what you pay for. You might get lucky and find some great music that works for your picture... but at least pay the person that created it something.

Have a great day all!

I understand your point, but......

To a great extent I do agree with you however, the cost of using a composer for hire is often prohibitively expensive for new filmmakers, especially students!

I enjoy writing music, and I feel that I have what it takes to make a career out of it somewhere down the line, and though I have already invested a lot of time and money over the last twelve years playing in various groups, rehearsing, and learning my craft, I would feel unjustified in charging for something that I am still getting my teeth into (writing music to a visual) which is a very different craft than composing a song, for example.

By offering my services free, there is a benefit to both the filmmaker and myself....... I get valuable experience, a reference, and hopefully future paid work from the film maker, who could be tomorrows next big thing, and the film maker can produce a film which otherwise may not be made due to cost constraints.

It's very competitive business, and I understand why a professional composer could feel 'put out' by having competition when the cost difference is so high, however, this comes down to the composer..... once a catalogue of work has been produced the ballpark moves from Indie and Student films into commercial, corporate work.... this is where the issue of money really starts to matter and in this area briefs are won on merit.

It is my intention to receive financial acknowledgement for my work in the future, and once I reach this point I will then also be competing against those who are cutting their teeth into the industry, my view of offering services for free may well change at this point :) but I hope that I will have built strong enough relationships with my service users that I can justify the costs involved with my services, if I can't justify my fee, then they’re probably right to be looking elsewhere as I have not been doing my job properly.

It may also be worth noting that though I am currently working on projects for free, I am retaining the rights for all future uses of my compositions, I think that the way music technology is coming along, the accessibility to recording equipment etc is going to change the song writing industry radically over the next 5-10 years and this issue of offering services for free will become much less.

All good thoughts, but I dont think it makes sense for the long run

I think you have to analyze what your place will be in the "music for picture" world. In my opinion, and many other professional film/tv scorers, unless you have some very very very strong ties to the "young, up and coming" filmmaker that you are giving your music to for free... if for some lucky reason, that film maker does make it big... it is our bet that he/she will hire a composer that is already working at the budget level of what their new project is. And, to make it even more difficult, when there is a budget, there are many others involved in choosing the composer. AND... if that film happens to be for a studio... you can completely forget about it.

When I say for free, I do not mean signing over the publishing. That would be idiotic. The low budget films that I have worked on... for pay... I still keep the publishing. It is usually only when working for a network or film studio that the job is a "work-made-for-hire".

The bottom line is... you do what you feel you have to do. My bottom line to young (or not young) composers that want to get into film scoring is.... atleast get paid 200 dollars. That aint going to break a low budget, indie film or even a student film's budget.

Our responsibility is to work, and be able to survive/support our families. Teaching young film makers that they can get the music for free really is ruining it for all of us... including you!

Where are you based.... what equipment do you use... do you use live players.... all of these things cost money... forget about our education...

Peace!

I don't know if I agree with you, finetune...

Getting into the film industry requires doing a lot of free work to network, build practical skills, get references, build a resume, get noticed, etc.

Any sort of job usually requires a level of experience... the problem is you cannot get the work unless you HAVE the experience, so the best route is to do the low-budget movies and learn as you go.

In the same way, I can see how a composer builds contacts, commits to practical work, etc... it's learning as you go, and the payment is in experience. When the paying jobs pop up, having an impressive resume/sample list and a good list of references and credits won't hurt.

Hello,

I have to agree with finetune to a extent, young composers need a bit of free work to assist there portfolio's and learn. However there are better ways to doing it rather then making cheap film directors even cheaper. Try scoring to already current blockbuster films and redoing scenes. Watch films and study there instrumentation and how to make effective use out of your selection. I've come across a few film directors who back out because of money and people offering free services. I was taught long ago that you become who you are from the way you market your self. I can tell you from experience. You just may become that composer that's cheaper rather then better. The time has come film understand the importance of audio. We are just as important as the video aspect and the more loop holes they have the more they will use them. The main problem with young composers trying to make it is being so overly excited about the possibility of doing music for a living that they have a hard time having the balls to understand its a art form as well and has value. If you have no projects to your name at all tho you are screwed and have to work for free. The only way you can charge for services is to have "Inherit value". Without it you are just another reason synth hobbyist.

Jeff - CTS Productions
www.chasingthesunproductions.com

hmmmm

Hello all, I don't think there is a problem with offering creative service for free and collaborating that way. And to be honest with you I think including the word "composers" in quotes was a cheap shot. The groups I work with all work that way and are first and foremost about collaboration both with each other, and filmmakers, directors, etc. When there is money involved it doesn't change the creative level or dedication one bit. I do agree with keeping publishing and the like but it too depends on the situation. For instance you can keep some tracks non-exclusive and use your performing rights societies to collect depending on the project if that's what your all about. Or you could sign the publishing over for a small fee and move on to write new tracks. Or you can merrily write exclusive tracks for a credit if thats your goal and it works for you. I think you have to keep the big picture in mind and realize there are a gazillion individuals who perform music and compose to the point where you go to a Barnes and Noble to get a Bass magazine and the guy right next to you is waiting for you to get out of the way so he can get one. I think the biggest picture is to respect the contacts you've made and realize they feel your art is right for the job and never take that for granted regardless if your business model is about making money from it or not. Now excuse me I gotta get back to writing stuff!
Patrick James
oberheimwaves@yahoo.com
http://www.crystalplumagemusic.com
Aff:BMI

I know this has kinda turned into the free/work debate and I understand both sides. I just wanted to post and say I listened to some of the samples and I thought they were quite great!

Back