Editing VHS

Hey guys,
I have to do a project for marketing and the school is providing Full size VHS and VHS-C cameras. They aren't however providing any editing facilities. Is there anyway I could use a program such as adobe premiere 5.0 to edit this? If so, what adapters etc do I need?

If not, do you suggest I use a digital cam to shoot the video as then we'll be able to use a computer based editing software? Only thing is we don't *have* a digicam. Any suggestions....

Well you could do a number of things actually. If you want to bring the stuff into the computer then you'll need a capture card that has inputs for analog. Your camcorders should either have RCA outputs and/or S-Video... If S-Video, use that. You'll need to plug in the audio into your sound card. If your sound card does not allow RCA input, then there are converter cables that converts RCA to something like the microphone plug.

Once in the PC you can edit it and do the VFX and all that...

Option 2 is to use a VCR and/or camcorder to do the editing. You put the recorded tape in the VCR. Hook the VCR to the camcorder. (out from VCR to input on the camcorder) Press play on the VCR, pres record on the camcorder. When you need to stop the recording on the camcorder hit PAUSE, not stop... hit PAUSE. Then cue up the VCR to the next scene and repeat until you have it.

That will be 2nd generation video though. If you want to add music to the video then you'll have to put in a NEW High Quality VCR tape in the VCR. The VCR is where you'll do the recording. If you're using a mono VCR then you'll need a Y-adapter for the RCA input for the audio. The camcorder plugs into the Y adapter and the music plugs into the other one. Then they are both recorded on the VCR tape when you hit record.

Tips:
When doing the VCR/Camcorder recording, if you're doing the music thing, make sure you don't try it on the first time. play the video and play the music. Figure out when the exact time to cue the music is. When I did this method I was playing a CD but not the very beginning of the song... so I actually started the song, hit play on the camcorder and hit record on the VCR all at the perfect time. It turned out very well.

Make sure you use the highest quality tapes because you'll be making a 3rd generation final product... then if you have to make coppies of that... they will be 4th generation... With each generation you're loosing quality.

Although none of that would happen if you captured the video to the PC and edited it all there.

If you have Adobe 5.0, you should download the free upgrade to 5.1

Before deciding on whether to edit on your computer, you'll need to make sure you have a large enough harddrive (ideally a second drive) and that the harddrive spins at 7400rpm or better. If it's a slower drive, you'll end up with stuttery/jerky video on import.

To import the video you've got two options:

1) Video Capture Card - Some brands are better than others. The ones that take up a PCI slot are usually pretty good. The external devices that connect via a USB cable are not. External ones that connect via FireWire should be okay.

I bought one a few years ago for about $100... came with Pinnacle editing software included, too. Not as powerful as Adobe Premiere, but much simpler to get the knack of. :cool:

2) Mini-DV Camcorder - Assuming your computer has a FireWire connection, you can beg/borrow a mini-DV camera from a friend. You'll want a mini-DV camera that has a feature called "pass-through".

Pass-through allows you to connect analogue devices to the mini-DV camera's in-points... as well as connecting the mini-DV camera to the computer from its out-jacks. It's like the middleman; converting your VHS deck to a digital signal en route to the computer.

_______

Hope that helped. :)

It's like 13 GB for 60 min of video or something like that. Not sure about VHS though. My guess would be probably less space than Hi-8. Good news is you can find 7200 HDD for fifty cents a GB now days. Seems every Sunday paper I get, somebody has an 80 GB for $40. ;)

I think ZS's option #2 will yeild the best results but the learning curve associated with desktop editors can be a problem.

Yea, the passthrough would be the best option. Plug the VHS cam into the Digital cam and just pass the video through the digital to the PC. That is if you HAVE to use the VHS cam... If not.. use the Mini-DV.

Sarafina said:
Hey guys,
I have to do a project for marketing and the school is providing Full size VHS and VHS-C cameras. They aren't however providing any editing facilities. Is there anyway I could use a program such as adobe premiere 5.0 to edit this? If so, what adapters etc do I need?

If not, do you suggest I use a digital cam to shoot the video as then we'll be able to use a computer based editing software? Only thing is we don't *have* a digicam. Any suggestions....

Well, the easiest way requires a digital camera. Basically, you hook the camera up to your VCR, play the tape, and capture it through a FireWire.

Back