• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I need your opinion

Im new here so please dont get mad if my post is in the wrong section.

Here's my pitch:

Tartuffe

It would be a modernized version of the famous french play. What would make this different would be to take the characters: Cleante, Dorine, and Damis and turn them from actual character to what they actually symbolize in the play i.e. "voices" that feed the thoughts of the characters in the play.

I would really appreciate your opinion about this idea and tell me if I should run with it or from it. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

When this whole thing started all I had was a name - now there's a definition and a reason. The more I expect, the harder things are.
-Anthony Green

Something Simple said:
...turn them from actual character to what they actually symbolize in the play i.e. "voices" that feed the thoughts of the characters in the play.

I'm gonna need a bit more explanation on this. I've never seen or read the play, so I'm not sure what you're getting at by saying "turn them from actual character to what they actually symbolize in the play."

Also, I am not sure how old the play is, but you might have problems with copyright laws.

Poke

I knew I should have explained further. Anyways it was a play made in the 1600's by Moliere that deals with Religious hypocracy and the Nature of Man. Moliere is not as well known as Shakespeare but his work is very deep and rich in meaning. It is late and I dont feel like explaining the whole play but you can go to this website to learn about the play.

http://moliere-in-english.com/tartuffe.html

_______________________________________________________________________________________

When this whole thing started all I had was a name - now there's a definition and a reason. The more I expect, the harder things are.
-Anthony Green

Something Simple said:
I would really appreciate your opinion about this idea and tell me if I should run with it or from it. Thanks.
You'll get a lot of great advice and opinions from the folks here. But this request seems way too personal. If adapting Tartuffe is something you feel passionate about then it won't really matter what other people think. On the other hand I suspect you aren't terribly passionate about doing this.

Since I can't really offer an intelligent opinion because I don't know you, your ability or your passions I can only offer one piece of advice.

Go for it! Since that play is in the public domain you can adapt it legally. If YOU think it's a good idea and something you are willing to spend time and talent doing, don't let anyone discourage you.

directorik said:
Go for it! Since that play is in the public domain you can adapt it legally. If YOU think it's a good idea and something you are willing to spend time and talent doing, don't let anyone discourage you.

I'm gonna echo rik. Go for it! If you have the ability to do it, do it.

Poke

I think Tartuffe is a great candidate for a modern intepretation, esp. if it were a comedy. That could be really great! I was fortunate enough to see a very good priduction of Tartuffe in Toronto some years ago and it was hilarious.

However, I would eschew the "character voices" and just go for a "straight" re-telling.

Back