Orphaned film...found inside camera

I recently inherited a Kodak M26 Instamatic and was told to develop the film in exchange for keeping the camera...I've since found out the camera is worth less than a paper weight but I'm keeping it next to my other home movie cameras.

Thing is, I don't have clue where to get a good price on developing this super 8 film circa 1976 something. I'll also have to have it converted to VHS or DVD for the camera's former owner.

I've read super 8 is a hot ticket item with indi filmmakers now so I thought someone may have a competitive price out there from some company.

Anyone out there with a good price?

Thanks!

Sparkalina

Long time no see, Sparkalina! :)

Yup, off to Dwayne's it goes. They'll only do the processing, though... no transfer.

If it's just a single roll of film, it's pointless to do a telecine at a pro-shop. They usually have an hourly rate for transfers; often with a minimum.

Ritz Camera (the big camera chain) offers an S-8 --> DVD service. I've no idea what the rates are, but it could be worth checking out.

If that's too much, try and find someone with a Sniper-8 (or WorkPrinter-8). The quality of the transfer is better than a straight wall-projection, and is usually sent to a mini-DV tape. Easy enough to send that to VHS tape.

I know a fellow locally who does this... $15 per 50' roll. (plus cost of mini-DV tape... I just give him one)

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

Thanks so much guys!

I'll look into these links immediately. I suspect, deep within the roll there might be a few memories. The film was kept inside in a cool dark humidity free environment so hopefully there's something to retrieve.

I'll post back if I find anything. :)

BTW -

I've seen manuals for this camera online for 10-20$...I'll invest in one later when I have money to throw around, but in the meantime I have one question someone might be able to answer.

Where the heck does this camera get its power? I've done a cursory inspection and can't find where the batteries go if there are any. My other movie cameras come with the operator winding mechanism.

With the addition of this new camera I'm itching to try it out now. :)

Invest in a better camera. That is a non-reflex super-8 with a fixed-length lens. You can get a super-8 with features for $25.

Here's what it looks like, btw. :)

http://www.nwmangum.com/Kodak/M26-1.html

_______

A friend of mind brought over an old S-8 a few months back, that had batteries placed in a rather odd position.

I forget the the brand/model, but there was a very basic lift-up flap that covered the space where the film cartidge went.

In that same space, flush-horisontal and below, was a depression for several AAA batteries. No markings were impressed into the plastic to indicate polarity... just the metal tips at each end of the depression where the batteries made contact.

Might be something worth looking for, on your camera... especially as the link above suggests it has auto-exposure. There's a battery source (or two) involved somewhere.

Back