How to host a movie online?

I'm part of a small team that makes short funny episodal movies that cater to a very specific crowd (namely computer game players). Our first movie that's ready to release is 85 megabytes compressed with Divx. Does anyone have experience hosting files like this online, such as what service to use to host and how much that costs, how to find free mirrors, or maybe even bittorrent? Thank you very much.

Cheap web-hosting (with a lot of bandwidth) is not hard to find. Globat, GoDaddy and a dozen more offer a lot of space & bandwidth for little cost. These may not be the best out there, but they are two I can think of right now.

How to find free mirrors? Have someone see your movie that likes it, and who is willing to add it to their site with a new link to relieve the burden of the original. Mirrors come and go.

Bit-torrent... many people use it. Undergoing a few legal problems right now, with the massive amount of copyrighted material that is distributed with it. Only as effective (and reliable) as the amount of people seeding. If you're going to toss something into Bit-torrent, you may as well declare your material PD (or CCL) and send it to Archive.org

Why use DIVX, btw? It's not a common CoDec, and many of the packages it comes in still install spyware, even though DIVX (by itself) apparently :rolleyes: no longer does. It looks good, no doubt... but no better than .mp4 which compresses extremely well, too. (and which is supported out of the box by QT 6.0 and better, and possibly the newer WMP... have to check that)

How long is the movie, also? You mention that it's a series of shorts... 85mb is pretty big for a "short". You ought to be hitting 3 - 5 mb per minute. 85/5 is a 17 minute short... that sound about right to what you have?

It's actually only 10 minutes. I was afraid the file might be too large, and I might have to compress more if no one will host the full 85. I use divx because I don't know any other format that I can convert to as easily that looks as good. Probably don't want Windows Media because I don't know about the cross-platform support. Quicktime is a possibility, but again I don't know hwo to encode to qt, and i thought it resulted in bigger files than divx anyway.

Back