My First Experience with 16mm Film

Got my film back from the lab this past Friday. Good news - it turned out much better than expected! Yeah!
Okay, so it was just some shots of ducks and geese at a local park, but it was a test reel.

I'm beginning to prefer film over video. I want to shoot my next short on film. I'm also planning to shoot parts of a feature-length on film as well. Once the film has been telecined, I can edit it in Vegas.

Anyone know where I can get a cable release for a Bolex Reflex 5 H16? I plan to use it to shoot animations.

Congrats on shooting your first 16mm film! Feels good doesn't it? :)
Any chance we might be able to see some screen shots of it?

Cable Release for Bolex REX 5, could always look on Ebay. I've seen them there a few times. But I'm sure a cable release froma photo shop would work as well.

Zensteve said:
Did you remember to get the ducks and geese to sign releases? ;)

(LOL) I told them that since they were in a public park, they were part of the public domain and didn't need to sign releases. They also worked for free w/o complaining, too! :D

I jokingly refer to my clip as a poor (wo)man's "March of the Penguins."

Once the film has been telecined, I can edit it in Vegas.

How are you getting this done, btw?

I'm assuming (for a test roll) that you just shot a 100' load. Most 'cine places I've looked up have a minimum charge for transfers... typically half of a full hourly rate.

That's not so economical for a single roll. :no:

You have a place in mind that doesn't have a minimum?

(I'd like to know of one
smiley_keke.gif
)

"Telecining"

I'm almost afraid to post this. I wrote a message yesterday, hit the "Submit'" button and the screen went blank. It wasn't until this a.m. that I was able to click on IndieTalk.

So, my fingers are crossed...

I did an unofficial "telecine." While the film played in the projector, I taped the screen with my Sony Digital8. I then imported the tape into Vegas at 24 fps. Unfortunately, the frame rate of the camera is 29.97 and I had to scrap the first upload. I changed the Vegas settings from NTSC to PAL and re-uploaded the tape into Vegas. The playback was smoother, and I added music (Sony Acid Loops) and rendered it as a PAL DVD and then as a Windows Media Fille. Granted, it's not perfect (the picture is slanted because of the camera angle), but for a first time try -- not bad. :D

There are two production facilities here that charge from .15/foot to .30/foot to convert 16mm to videotape or DVD (the latter being higher). One place also charges a $30.00 setup and supplies fee. Whether they charge an hourly rate on top of that, I don't know. My husband had a 50 ft. roll (Super 8) converted into videotape at one of the places mentioned above, and they didn't charge an hourly rate.

Slide Show!

Okay, I finally did it. Here's a slide show of some of the 16mm footage I shot. It's not perfect, but I'm still learning! :D

Ok, never mind that. Seems I can't get Netscape to accept the QT format. (Figures.) Settle for some pics instead?

Umm, let me post them to the Internet first.

Be back!

Last edited:
Herb Montes said:
Standard cable releases will not work with the Bolex. The Bolex release has a straight thread while the standard ones you find at the camera shop have tapered threads. Also the Bolex needs a longer throw than the basic release will give. You can get Bolex cable releases from here:

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/Default.htm
Which Bolex are we talking about here?If it's your standard Rex,won't it need an adapter that fits over the shutter release on the side of the camera?Been a long time since I used a Bolex,but I remember the adapter that fit on the side.Push the trigger forward,you get single frame,back is continuous run,further back it locks to the run position.

All 16mm Bolex cameras do require the adapter which fits over the release button on the side. The Bolex cable release screws into this. There are two versions. One with a cable socket at both ends so you could operate the continuous run or the single frame. Another kind only has the socket at one end, the rest being cutaway. There is another kind of release adapter which fits the trigger button on the front of the camera though this is not as common.

Back