Sundance Vs. Slamdance

Kitch_Man said:
This is a post for the more experienced filmmakers/festival attendies...

I am an indie filmmaker in post on my first feature lenght project. I am wondering if any of the vetrans could answer a couple of festival submission questions for me?

1. Do you see any problems arrising in the fact that we want to submit to both the 2006 Sundance and Slamdance Festivals as our "World Premier"? (...on the fact that they run Simultaneously...I am thinking that the likelyhood of being selected to both is remote, but you never know.)
You could only HOPE that you have this problem!
2. Since a Film's 'Virginity' at it's frist festival screening is of most importance, would you suggest that, at this point, we state on all applications that it shall be our "World Premier," up until that point that we recieve notice that the film has been 'selected' to be screened at a fest?
Yes. Until you have been accepted and screened it's a world premier. If both festivals accept you then you have a wonderful, enviable problem that I wish to have with my movie.
3. Do you know if festivals, in their selection process, shy away from films that have recently screened at another fest? If so, what kind of a submission strategy would you suggest?
Some do, some don't. You gotta read the submission rules carefully.

I'm only submitting to Slamdance and Santa Barbara this time around. I don't have much interest in Sundance and I chose Santa Barbara because it's a great festival and I grew up there - thought that might give me an edge. But if I get into Slamdance I lose my premier status as SB so I risk not getting shown there at all.

I also entered Ann Arbor (where two of my shorts won several years ago) - but they don't have a premier requirement. So check the rules.

Good luck and welcome to indietakl!

Kitch_Man said:
1. Do you see any problems arrising in the fact that we want to submit to both the 2006 Sundance and Slamdance Festivals as our "World Premier"? (...on the fact that they run Simultaneously...I am thinking that the likelyhood of being selected to both is remote, but you never know.)

3. Do you know if festivals, in their selection process, shy away from films that have recently screened at another fest? If so, what kind of a submission strategy would you suggest?.

--I read somewhere that Sundance wants to have the American Premiere, otherwise they may not be interested in your film. I am not sure about this, but you may want to check it out, I need to go over my research again.

Slamdance, from what I understand, is for those films who do not have big name actors or alot of money. The word I've heard is that sometimes Sundance seems to be a platform not necessarily for indie film after all. That would be too bad.

Make sure, however, that you check out the premiere thing, you want to increase your chances of being shown anyway you can and a good showing at Sundance is not a bad thing. Good Luck...

--spinner :cool:

One of the good things about Slamdance is it happens the same week as Sundance, and is in Park City. In other words, if you get into Slamdance, promote the heck out of your film to get those crowds to see your film. Slamdance started as another "dance" festival, but they have built their own reputation and have become one of the top fests.

a. You will NOT be accepted at both. Slamdance announces it's selected films AFTER Sundance publically announces theirs. Neither will allow a film at both fests.

b. Sundance, as already stated, requires an American Premiere for all features, and limits a short film to 2 prior film fests. A "world Premiere" does increase your chances of acceptance.

c. You can "accepted" to other film festivals, but they need to occur AFTER Sundance.

d. Slamdance has none of these requirements.

Some film festivals look at other film fests to help pick their movies. The bigger the festival you get into first, the more your film will be accepted at smaller and other film festivals. If you go in person & schmooze, you'll even have festival directors suggesting your film (and waiving entry fees).

Read Chris Gore (FILM THREAT)'s book "The Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide" as it's got everything you need to arm yourself for the experience.

Sundance still carries with it prestige and reputation to make it in the top 5 of most people's film festival lists today. I like Slamdance's movie selection much much better.

Slamdances website says right on it that unfortunalty its harder to get in than Sundance. I could not see how you'd get into both though really. Festivals want world premiers to be able to say that it screened at thier fest first (more PR for them). I have not gotten into the festival circut just yet but I do know that much. Some festivals say right on the submision form that World premieres have dominance over other films. HHF said that. I've submitted to the 2006 Sundance and will be submitting to Slamdance soon. If you are still in post you are too late for the 2006 Sundance unless you submit it late and that dealine should be coming real quick also.

I just my new credit card so I can finally get Gores book. I'll need it. Although the festival circut seems like Plan B to me for this particular film.

Ultimate Festival Guide - Book Trade

If anyone wants my copy of the Ultimate Festival Guide just let me know. I can trade you for a book in your library or a copy of your movie! Seriously, I can only read it three times so if anyone has interest, just contact me. I also have a dozen other books on the shelf ready to circulate. We should start a book exchange among indie filmmakers.

Hey Alphie, If you and Johnny haven't made that trade yet, I will shoot you copies of both my short films for it. And Johnny will get to read it anyway, since we work together so much. ;)

Back