• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trailer for "Arc"

I've had this up since the beginning of time...or last September, whichever is more recent...but since I'm new to the boards, figured I'd share my trailer, too:

http://www.ArcTheMovie.com/trailer.htm

If the link takes you to the home page, with the awards laurels, just click on "Trailer" on the tabs and you'll get there. I'm thinking about a re-cut, adding in some stills with our awards, etc., so opinions on this earlier trailer would be welcomed. Thanks! :hi:

steve gelder

awesome! the trailer really brought back the good memories of this film. I was pretty drunk when I saw it at Wreck Beach, so I think I'll purchase a copy. Just for the ass monkeys.

Just for the ass monkeys.

I'm sure that there is some common thread that ties it all together. Lots of funny & interesting moments, but it was like one giant non-sequitar.

The trailer clearly introduces several key characters, but not how they relate to each other. That's the kind of thing I think a trailer should be getting across. It's your 60 seconds to establish why a viewer should care about the characters and their relationships.

Clearly the film itself is pretty good. It's gathered several wins, and from what I've read on various other sites almost everyone has had favourable things to say about Arc.

For me, the trailer didn't quite work.

...unless the whole film is several non-intersecting storylines, loosely tied together by having dialogue run on into the different story arcs... but in a short film... ?

Arc at the Arclight... maybe that will clear things up.
smiley_pac.gif

Thanks for the feedback, Guys...

zensteve, I see what you're saying. I thought I had made the connective thread clear in the intro to the trailer, saying "most indie films try to answer questions, this film just raises more..." and then all of the lines in the trailer from that point on are questions, sort of strung together into a near-monologue.

I always wondered if it was clear, and apparently, it isn't. So, good to know.

And spatula, order now and often! Operators are standing by....something...

Anyone else?

The DVD

steve gelder said:
Thanks for the feedback, Guys...

zensteve, I see what you're saying. I thought I had made the connective thread clear in the intro to the trailer, saying "most indie films try to answer questions, this film just raises more..." and then all of the lines in the trailer from that point on are questions, sort of strung together into a near-monologue.

I always wondered if it was clear, and apparently, it isn't. So, good to know.

And spatula, order now and often! Operators are standing by....something...

Anyone else?

Steve,

This is Matt from out here in Las Cruces... Hope everything's going well for you...

Of course we loved the movie here... You won EVERYTHING! LOL.

What I want to know is WHERE you got the DVD to look like a reel of film? We were all super impressed with your packaging...

filmy

I look at it as a teaser trailer which gives you a feel without spelling out the story. I think it looks like fun as long it doesn't go totally aimless.

Scott

Thanks, scott - the story has a pretty basic start, middle, end, with a couple of surprises, so I don't think the film comes off as aimless...

And hey, filmy! How's the cycle treating you? Not sure I understand what you mean by "got the DVD to look like a reel of film" - you mean the video effect, or something with the packaging? Please say hello to David, Constance and Cissy for me! Organ Mountain was a blast - hope some of the other Indie Filmmakers here will check it out next year!

steve

steve gelder said:
Thanks, scott - the story has a pretty basic start, middle, end, with a couple of surprises, so I don't think the film comes off as aimless...

And hey, filmy! How's the cycle treating you? Not sure I understand what you mean by "got the DVD to look like a reel of film" - you mean the video effect, or something with the packaging? Please say hello to David, Constance and Cissy for me! Organ Mountain was a blast - hope some of the other Indie Filmmakers here will check it out next year!

steve
I was talking about the packaging... Maybe I'm thinking of a different DVD but I thought your DVD had some kind of artwork on the actual DVD to make it look like a reel of film... If that wasn't yours, I apologize...

Yo... Going to McKee's STORY seminar this month in Smell-A. Gonna finally take the plunge and see what I can learn from him... LOL.

Hopefully, A LOT.

The BUELL is awesome... Just got the race kit for it... Whoa.

filmy

Filmy - let me know when you're coming to town - maybe we can get together for a beer...

And, hey, Joe! Yep, it's me, this time. One of the standard "on the set, behind the scenes, director caught off guard" types of things.

Oh, and filmy - that wasn't mine. No offense taken, of course - sounds like a nice packaging idea.

I have some images on the DVD (title, bench, prod. company logo) but nothing that would indicate or be mistaken for a reel of film.

My mistake...

steve gelder said:
Oh, and filmy - that wasn't mine. No offense taken, of course - sounds like a nice packaging idea.

I have some images on the DVD (title, bench, prod. company logo) but nothing that would indicate or be mistaken for a reel of film.
My mistake!

EDIT: Congrats on the film fests!

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
The verbatim dvd-r discs come with a film reel look from the factory..one of the better looking discs ..maybe thats what you are thinking of FIlmy?

I caught this tonight, down at the last day of the Temecula Valley International Film Festival. :cool:

I still think the trailer itself is too obscure, but the film itself turned out to be very good.

I think the only thing that may not have been resolved was the recurring kwiki-mart shopkeeper "Joyce". Maybe I missed it. Everything else fell into place rather well, and the final scene on the bench fit perfectly.

A well-balanced piece that swings back and forth between realities and action, and existentialism.

Great work, Steve. :)

Zensteve said:
I caught this tonight, down at the last day of the Temecula Valley International Film Festival. :cool:

I still think the trailer itself is too obscure, but the film itself turned out to be very good.

I think the only thing that may not have been resolved was the recurring kwiki-mart shopkeeper "Joyce". Maybe I missed it. Everything else fell into place rather well, and the final scene on the bench fit perfectly.

A well-balanced piece that swings back and forth between realities and action, and existentialism.

Great work, Steve. :)

What the....?

Okay, which one were you - guy in the back row with popcorn, or guy three rows from the back with two women?

Sorry I didn't know you were there - wandered off to the awards ceremony following the screening. And thanks for your kind words - there's no real "resolution" for Joyce. He'll just return in the sequel, grumpy and out for blood.

Thanks for making the trip down! Next time, beer's on me!

Okay, which one were you - guy in the back row with popcorn, or guy three rows from the back with two women?

Disclosing that would unmask my
smiley_ninja.gif
identity... suffice to say I was about to use afore-mentioned ninja abilities on the usher, trying to get the projection leveled/resized in a most indiscreet fashion via walkie-talkie and... yelling? :huh:

Next time, beer's on me!

I like the cut of yer jib, matey!
smiley_piratriot.gif

Zensteve said:
I was about to use afore-mentioned ninja abilities on the usher, trying to get the projection leveled/resized in a most indiscreet fashion via walkie-talkie and... yelling? :huh:

Don't you be rude to your Usher. They get low/no pay, but they're the REAL ultimate power in the cinemas/theatres. One day, all ushers will take thier bowties and flashlights and usurp all the upper managements in this world.

By the way, Steve... I'll be posting my Wreck Beach documentary in the private screening room to get some feedback soon.. I was planning to put the trailers to a few of the films after the credits. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have your trailer included! It would be complete with contact info for yourself, as well.
I'm hoping I can secure all the rights to the doc and go for an online release. PM me if you want your trailer in!!!

Spatula said:
PM me if you want your trailer in!!!

How the hell do you Prime Minister someone....?

Hey, Spatula - feel free to use the current trailer. Do you need me to send you the file? And how soon are you putting this on-line? Might be good motivation for me to cut another trailer quickly. Thanks for asking!

Well, I'll be putting a rough cut up soon.. in fact, it should be rendering right now. I'll post it here in the private forum to get some feedback, and re-cut what I can.
Then I'll finish the credits and place the trailers after the credits with slates with the filmmaker's contact info.
Then I have to sit down and show the Captain (since it's his festival) and see where we want to go with it. I think an online release would be best, use it to promote the festival... we'll see after I get feedback from the tursted fellows on this board, yourself included!

PM stands for Private Massage, by the way. ;)

Back