16mm Camera Buying

Hi everyone-

I'm new to filmmaking and new to this forum.

I'm looking to purchase a 16mm camera to learn to shoot on. I'm looking for something that will allow me to learn about filming and also shoot quality work. My budget is around $1500, at the most. So, I'll probably get more bang for my buck buying used, ya?

Could someone please give me some recommendations on what cameras to seek out, and possibly some good websites on where to find used cameras?

Thanks Everyone!

Travis

16 mm cameras

Canon Scoopic is an excellent camera with some modern electronics that can add to the scope of your film. The later models have a built in light meter and it has the capability to do time laps with auto exposure so when the light changes you get the best exposure. they also make underwater housings for this camera.
Go to google.com and type in used 16mm film cameras or the name of the camera Like Bolex. You should get plenty of hits. Check out mom and pop type pro camera shops in your area as they tend to collect these types of cameras even though their main business is 35mm still cameras. You may be able to rent them to decide which is best for you. The Scoopic does not have interchangable lenses like the bolex but you can put filters and diopters and telephoto attachements on it. I would suggest you make sure your camera is a reflex type camera so the viewfinder is showing you what you are actually shooting. Older film cameras may have a viewfinder but were not reflex which creates a paralax problem if not adjusted properly. Good hunting!

Back