Film School priorities

Hands on vs. Theory seems to be an issue. Arent all schools hands on? Is there a film school that doesnt allow you to handle equipment?

A school that teaches realistic practical applicable theory is important. Do not underestimate it. Film truly is a language, a vast one - learn it. It goes way beyond the petty fundamentals of 180 degreee rule and dom/sub camera angles and you wont necessarily discover it by trial and error. It requires much discipline and contemplation.

Actors. Films are about people, not camera angles. Will your school have access to actors? Sure there may be an acting program at the school and a local theatre group - but will it be as widesprad as New York City or LA? Go to a school at one of those cities. Plus, you will already have the connections of those places - isnt that where you will end up anyway? It only makes sense to go to school there and get your foot in early.

With as many bad actors you have to audition to find one that fits your vision, I wholeheartedly agree that you should consider a school where there will be lots of actors. I am constantly amazed at what people will do for no compensation in LA, just to add to their reel.

Amazing.

On your other point, I think we often refer to the schools that are more like trade schools as hands on. I think if you label your school as hands on it allows you to really skimp on theory and history, but still charge the same amount. I went to the Los Angeles Film School which would be considered hands on. In one year you shoot at a minimum two short films and several other video projects. They stick an xl2 in your hand on day one and expect a film at the end of your first week. Every cinematography class and more than half of the directing classes involve the students actually using cameras, mics, etc.

This prepares you to go out and work for someone else without totally sucking it up, but may not result in Art. Does that make sense?

I think both methods are valid. You can learn from film school and you can learn by making your own movie. The ultimate determiner, imho, is a combination of drive and talent.

And as a million successful people have said a million times, it's more about the drive than the talent. Focus and determination are the key ingredients.

I love the quote about film as a language. A good writer needs a command of dialect, nuance and vocabulary to bring life to characters. A filmmaker needs to a command of the visual vocabulary of film to bring to life the story. That's one of the things I love about making movies - it's a blend of words, music and moving pictures to tell the story.

Okay, no duh, but I still get excited talking about it.

At least a good deal, I find film theory to be an illness. So much of it is garbage. It's gotten to the point that a film school's only purpose is to maintain the illusion that culture isn't dead.

It's been my experience that particular schools usually excel at either theory or technique. I think both are very necessary. I went to an art college (big on the conceptual), found out it was a little lagging in technique, so I supplimented my education by going to a film school co-op.

"At least a good deal, I find film theory to be an illness. So much of it is garbage. It's gotten to the point that a film school's only purpose is to maintain the illusion that culture isn't dead."

Thats why I said, "A school that teaches realistic practical applicable theory is important."

Realistic.
Practical.
Applicable.

Something wrong with the times on these post clocks. My previous post says it was made yesterday. I made it today, about an hour or so ago, which would have been about 7:00 pm Eastern time, New York. And Im making this one at 8:38 pm.

GREATwarEAGLE said:
Something wrong with the times on these post clocks. My previous post says it was made yesterday. I made it today, about an hour or so ago, which would have been about 7:00 pm Eastern time, New York. And Im making this one at 8:38 pm.
Your time settings are in UserCP.

Oh so it looks different to everyone else... I see.

I wasnt aware of that. I thought the clocks were always like automatically correct, without user settings.

ITs no big deal. Just thought Id bring it to your attention.

GREATwarEAGLE said:
Thats why I said, "A school that teaches realistic practical applicable theory is important."

Fair enough. It's just "film school" and "realistic" and "practical applicable theory" in the same sentence comes off as an oxymoron, but hey. :)

OK, those not in film school, here's all you need to know:

180 degree rule

30 degree rule

3-point lighting

Match cut...

You learn these, you are good to go. If you understand WHEN to break them when it is more entertaining, I need you in my crew.

OK, so film school. It's like a secret fraternal society that feeds you tons and tons of nothing. I can tell you have been to film school if you understand what the term "diegesis" means. If you use that in an everyday sentence, it's like a secret handshake. You may learn nothing else in film school, but at least you have something to boggle your friends the next time you play Scrabble.

180 degree rule

30 degree rule

3-point lighting

Match cut...

Those are very basic fundamental aspects of technical theory. Not narrative theory.

"You learn these, you are good to go."

Good to go? What do you mean.

I haven't done research on every single institution that has some form of a film program, but Im sure there are plenty that are a waste of time. Like all things in life. I strongly suggest exstensive homework before enrolling in one. Be sure you know what you want to and if they will give it to you. As Im sure has been said over and over in this forum, a degree really doesnt mean anything. Film school isnt for everyone. But many parents dont realize this. Many of them probably dont understand that you can learn it on your own.

You can rent/buy cheap equipment and start simple and there are tons of books on practical narrative and technical theory to give you an idea of what cinematic storytelling requires.

But, if you are dead set on film school, I strongly suggest one in NY or LA, with strong emphasis on cinematic narrative theory, and not just flashy eqiupment.

Last edited:
GREATwarEAGLE said:
180 degree rule

30 degree rule

3-point lighting

Match cut...

Those are very basic fundamental aspects of technical theory. Not narrative theory.

"You learn these, you are good to go."

Good to go? What do you mean.

What I think he means is they can't teach you how to have a vision for film in school. In terms of technical stuff to learn, those are the thing one must absolutely know in order to be competent. The ability to illustrate/create a story on film can't be taught.

And I agree... yet I'm going to NYU :P

Some people call it the 45 degree rule. Generally, if you want to intercut between shots you need to have a reasonable change in angle to avoid jump cutting on simliar sized shots.

Back