Script writing

I am learning how to write a script and I have some questions.

1.) How do you outline a script (on a computer)?
2.) How do you format a short (5 to 10 minute) script?

If you go to SonnyBoo.com (Downloads section), there is a zip-file for writers.

It contains several free templates for formatting scripts, in MS-Word.

I'm partial to the "i-Script" template. (I'm too cheap to buy full-fledged software like Final Draft. Great software, mind you... I just can't justify the expense vs. how often I'd use it)

_______

I'm sure some others will have suggestions on how to arrange the outline itself. :cool:

I have a "how to write a script from a single idea in your head" posted on my website ( http://www.yafiunderground.com/AJ/howto.html ) which basically says:

write down the idea.
make 3 outline pieces (on paper or in a word processor):

..I. Act 1, introduce the people/places/relationships
.II. Act 2, Introduce the problem/struggle
III. Act 3, Resolve the problem introduced in Act 2

This is the standard greek story structure and has worked for thousands of years.

From there, fill in the space between each. If you write a piece in act 2 that needs another character, figure out if you need to introduce them in act one. It's a very random writing style, but as you flesh the story out, you have a complete work witout holes by the time you're done as you've filled all the holes as you were adding elements.

To make a longer movie, you make the same 3 act structure under each of the headings, and 3 act structures under each of those. As long as each of the smaller pieces is wrapped up and leads naturally into the next larger section, the movie should flow and feel right to an audience story wise.

..I. Intro
.....1. Intro
.....2. Conflict
.....3. Resolution
.II. Conflict
.....1. Intro
.....2. Conflict
.....3. resolution
III. Resolution
.....1. Intro
.....2. Conflict
.....3. resolution

Once you've got all the stuff on paper/computer, then worry about who says what. At this point it's easier to determine what the characters will say as you know what each of the characters is about and their place in the story world you are writing. Dialog comes last in this approach. With this approach, you can get to a filmable script in short order. It's mostly just walking through the logical story events one at a time.

You will want to consider that most characters need to show growth of some sort from beginning to end.

Check out http://www.sonnyboo.com and see his "one shots" one take filming excercises. 1 minute long pieces that exemplify the versatility of the 3 act structure.

There are many other ways to write a script, but I think this way is most approachable for non-writers, and a great excercise for writers. Other alternatives will follow this post by lots of writers...they will all be very valid as there isn't one universal way to do what you're asking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies

I have another question:

I have the basic outline finished but I need to write and organize the scenes (scene outline?).

What is the easiest way to do this on a computer? I think someone already posted this but I can’t seem to find it.

MPW,

Now you are "too organized." Instead of using an outline, try writing a "Treatment", which is different and deals mainly with story. From the Treatment you can easily develop the "spine" and formalize the structure.\

'fraid the outline structure is a bit more complex than Knightly led you to believe.

Instead of a discussion here, you should study some good books whose sole purpose is to help you make the story journey believable and fun along the "ride". At this moment in time you don't need us to tell you...you need to study what the pro's have developed as accepte story structure and then vary it if necessary.

Good luck.

("Story" by Robert McKee )

WC

I'll second WC's comments and also tell you I just finished McKee's "Story" - WONDERFUL, highly recommend it.

I'm more of a visual person and I lay in bed at night with a stack of index cards and a pen. I play the movie in my head, scene for scene. Each scene gets a card. I put the slug line at the top, some things I want to include maybe some dialog if a line hits me. When I'm done I have maybe 50-100 cards. I let it sit for a day or two then go back through and add some, delete some (a lot actually), change quite a few. On average I get 40-50 scenes I want to keep. A complete movie. I pin the cards up on my 'wall-o-cork' in three columns (for the three acts). Certainly not the only way to do it but it works for me. There are computer programs out there that will allow you to enter all these index cards into your computer but I like the more hands on approach while laying in bed.

Back