• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to upload analog videos onto FCP

Hi guys it's me again. I would like to ask all FCP HD experts in the forum on how to go about uploading videos taken from an analog camcorder onto my Mac G-5 and onto FCP. I have "DAZZLE" that came from my old PC. Will that work or do I need a more sophisticated digitizing gizmo to do the job? If, so, could you please recommend a brand that would work and would not break my bank? Thanks folks!

Please kindly explain the step-by-step process on how to do this project, the digitizing and uploading that is. Do I need to open up iMovie to start this process? HELP!

I had to upload some footage shot on a little sony hanycam, but luckly it had firewire so the process was seamless. If all you have are analog outs then a external unit like dazzle might get the job done but I'm not too sure how it would integrate with FCP. You might be able to capture it with something like iMovie, but I am not positive.

I had an external Dazzle unit for a PC a few years ago, and it was miserable. (USB-1 connection)

A better solution was getting a camcorder that had "pass-through". Many (but not all) mini-DV camcorders have this. You can plug in an analogue source into the camera with regular RCA cables, and at the same time connect the camera to the computer via FireWire.

I ended up with a Sony Digital-8 to do this. This camera was particularly handy, as it records digitally to an analogue Hi-8 tape. It's also backwards compatible with regular analogue 8mm & Hi-8 video cassettes. (Really only a good plan if you have lots of old 8mm video cassettes... a cheap mini-DV palmcorder suits most)

There are several analogue to DV converters available.
Pyro A/V Link, Edirol, DigitalMagic Pro and Canopus are the ones that pop up first when searching on Google.

I went with the Canopus ADVC 110. Maybe a little pricey (I don't know what number will break your bank) but worth every penny. It works great and is very easy to use.

Step-by-step:
Plug your analogue source into the converter via the RCA or s-video inputs
Plug the converter into the G5 via firewire
Open FCP and select "Log and Capture"
Press play on your source and "capture now" on FCP

Back