Films for Canon 514XL-S

Hello! I would very much appreciate your help. I just bought a Canon 514XL-S camera. I have now seen that the new Kodak Ektachrome 64T film will not work in this camera.

So, my question is, what currently produced Kodak film will work?

Here are the "Film Speeds" listed in the Canon 514XL-S manual:

Tungsten Light - ASA 40 160 250
Day Light - ASA 25 100 160

Given these capabilities, which of these Kodak films will work in this camera?

* PLUS-X Reversal Film 7265 (Tungsten Light - ASA 80 / Day Light - ASA 100)

* Tri-X Reversal Film 7266 (Tungsten Light - ASA 160 / Day Lght - ASA 200)

* KODAK VISION2 200T Color Negative Film 7217 (Tungsten Light - ASA 200 / Day Light - ASA 125)

* KODAK VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 7218 (Tungsten Light - ASA 500 / Day Light - ASA 320)

I do appreciate any advice you can offer. I want to make sure that whatever film I use in this camera will work automatically, without having to fake the camera out with the EE Lock Lever or anything.

Thank you again, everyone!

John

which of these Kodak films will work in this camera?

smiley_learn.gif
Kodachrome K-40 (which is not on your list)

It's 40T & 25D.

Though I'm sure you could use your listed stocks just fine, too.

Those stocks you have listed should work just fine. The Neg films have the lattitude to allow you to correct any differences in exposure in post. However you will need to telecine the neg. Do not attempt to use the 500ASA outside on auto exposure.

Spectra Film and Video sells all those stocks (and still has K-40 available) with discounted processing. They will also combine them in discounted packages with their professional quality processing and telecine.

They should also be able to give you a better idea of what films will work best with your camera.

Try them here: spectrafilmandvideo.com

Good luck!

Doesn't the 514 have manual override?Just invest in a handheld meter,do a little testing to determine how much light is lost in the reflex viewer (usually about a quarter to half a stop).You should be fine.The Ekatchrome 64 should be fine too,you just have to remember that your camera's auto iris will want to overexpose your footage by 2/3 of a stop.Just allow your auto iris to set your Fstop on your scene,switch to manual and stop down by 2/3.

Unfortunately, the 514 XLS does not have a full manual override. You must search for and lock the exposure setting you need by holding down a lever. This would not be the best camera of choice for manual exposures.

The good news is that Kodak makes negative films for super 8 that have much better latitude (exposure tolerance). The differences in exposure can usually be adjusted for in telecine.

Back