Warning: REad prior to screening your film at Temecula Film Fest

I've attended for 2 years. Our film in 2003 won the Grand Jury Award for Best Feature. We also showed a short in 2004. EXCELLENT FESTIVAL! Getting better every year, especially for EVERYTHING they give you for free.
The informal filmmaker/musician parties are alot of fun, many of the judges & industry workshop people attended these as well giving you better access to them. I will probably see you there this year as a volunteer some nights, but I will be there to party opening night! (Kris Dalton, Lazy Eye Pictures)

WARNING: THE ONLY BAD, VERY BAD, BEYONd BAD Thing that I heard and experienced first hand the last 2 years was that even though the films are all being shown in a theater where you would expect a good screening due to sound, lighting, etc...., if you were screening in a format other than BETA or 35 mm there were a ton of problems with sound, quality of picture being too dark, basically bad equipment, lack of experience from volunteer staff, etc... This was not a 1 time fluke, over and over we would hear the complaints from filmmakers, and the frustration level was high. They'd get it fixed during the film, then the filmmaker would think it was fixed, but the next screening there were new volunteers running the machine and the same issues would come back again like nothing had ever been resolved. If we had known how bad our screenings would turn out we tried both DVD & mini DV projection, we would have
only allowed it to be screened in a BETA format. We tried during the festival to get a BETA conversion done but the closet conversion house was 45 minutes away and needed a 24 hr. turnaround. Do whatever you can to submit your SCREENING version in the BETA SP format. They suggested it on the festival forms but then told us they would accept other formats, so to save money we didn't get the conversion done, but I never knew how much I would have regretted not doing this. It will save you sooooo much heartache and grief. I heard only happy comments from people about their 35 mm and BETA screenings. And it wasn't just us, there was universally sooooo much negatively ONLY with regard to the quality of the projection from the filmmakers screening in miniDV, video or DVD. WARNING from one whose been there and had to sit through watching my film look horrible during the screening & with tons of audio problems.

Other than this problem though that you can solve easily before the festival, the rest of the FEST is EXCELLENT!!!! Plan on staying there every day... There is even camping locally if you need cheap places to stay.. I can refer you to a couple places. The festival usually only comps accommodations for out of state filmmakers when asked & when they have something available. From what I've seen sometimes they'll offer a day or two free somewhere to help you out with hotel costs, or you can let them know if you'd be willing to live at someone's house for the festival, but you would need your own transportation.

BENEFIT: Free food & drinks for filmmakers & cast/crew with badge at the hospitality suite all day long.
Wonderful Academy Awards style gala... don't forget to dress formally! This year they are changing the venue from the wine country to Pechanga Resort... so bring gambling money if you dare!

The festival movie theater is in a nice little shopping center area, quaint little shops, a fun bar (Aloha J's), Texas Looseys Restaurant, a fine dining Italian place, I believe there is a sushi place, a wine cellar, a Starbucks (though I think again this year they may donate Starbucks coffee in the am for the hospitality suite). There is a good nail shop there...An Orchard's market, A Ben & Jerry's next to the theater for smoothies to cool off in the heat. Plus plenty of volunteers & hospitality people that can direct you whereever you need to go.
Last year during the day we were in the 90's every day, so check the weather before you pack. Temecula's been in the low 100's alot this year already. It gets windy in the afternoon and should cool off nicely in the evening low 70's?

The Music fest is also worth seeing & will be held in doors this year, in one of the theater rooms this time and is included free in everything... many of these musicians were happy to talk with filmmakers about collaborating on future projects. There were many talented bands there the last 2 years. The musician's really would like the filmmakers support as well, so in between filmscreenigns, be sure you catch some bands. The mucisicans typically play only 1 or 2 days during the festival.

They have a good high end craft/wares fair going during 1 or 2 days of the festival, so bring spending money if you're looking for unique gifts or souvinirs.

Also Old Town Temecula, is just on the other side of the freeway from the festival, anyone can direct you there, great for antiques, browsing for souvenirs, etc...

Don't miss OPENING night if you can, to me that was definitely one of the funnest aspects of the festival. The parties were 2nd, the workshops were interesting & beneficial, our screening we told them we wanted to do Q & A afterwards, we had actors there as well as the director, so the audience really appreciated it.... You must let the presenter know before your screening if you want the audience to stay through the credits for Q&A afterwards. The gala was last place... great food, but I'm not necessarily fond of wearing heels and listening to people speak for hours on end. But it is a nice affair anyway...

Well good luck everyone, I'll try to catch as many films as I can during the festival. GOod luck everyone. This is the first year where the audience awards do grant cash prizes, though small, heh it is something. But I would prefer always the distinction of getting the grand jury awards... but that's just me.

Good luck, and see you in Temecula on Opening Night.

Kris Dalton
Producer, Lazy Eye Pictures
(Killing the Dream & Ennui)
P.S. Hope this helps you all.

I did Temecula last year too, but I didn't go. Zensteve can comment on the projection, he was in attendance. I believe it was on DVD.

Great festival, indeed. :cool:

I did not see any of the projection issues that you mentioned... then again, I was only there for one day.

It seems likely that there were some problems however, as this year the TVIIF is requiring a Beta/SP tape for every film that is being shown. (They took mini-dv, DVD and the rest for submission screeners, though)

What did you have showing there in '04, btw? I may have seen it. :)

Zensteve said:
Great festival, indeed. :cool:

I did not see any of the projection issues that you mentioned... then again, I was only there for one day.

It seems likely that there were some problems however, as this year the TVIIF is requiring a Beta/SP tape for every film that is being shown. (They took mini-dv, DVD and the rest for submission screeners, though)

What did you have showing there in '04, btw? I may have seen it. :)
Hi, we just had a short called "Ennui", it was a concept piece about boredom in one man's life and his ultimate solution. I do know that the festival is requiring BETA SP because they can't afford to hire full time projection staff and the volunteers changing every single day proved too hard to do a full training on every type of format possible. Our movie screened on DVD last year there, they had the aspect ratio way messed up last year, our film looked distorted & extremely dark. It was filmed in 2:35/1 and they kept forgetting to change it, so in the middle of the 5 min. short they would be messing around with things upstairs (with the lights on ) so you could see shadows of bodies across the screen and the sound was occasionally either too loud, not loud enough, would cut in and out, etc.. My husband who directed Ennui refused to attend the last 2 screenings as we could not get the conversion done and he did not want to see his film butchered again. It was because of filmmakers like him and MANY others last year that complained very loudly and the staff upstairs was so stressed out that they decided they would have to consolidate formats this year, hire a part time technical advisor to come in and train the staff so hopefully this year will be flawless.... They gotta understand if the filmmakers aren't happy they will stop getting submissions ultimately.. I think they finally understood this and I (being on staff last year at the festival) and many others in charge got an earful of complaints, because I can't begin to tell you how happy I am they made this decision. I did let the festival know that even tiny, new festivals like Orinda, if you apply they require a BETA sp as well. Our screening was perfect in their little venue - no problems at all because they did the conversion and had trained the staff to work the machines in the community rooms they had their screenings.

This 11th festival sounds very exciting. I attended media night as a previous filmmaker and what a production that night was. The opening night is going to be very exciting and though I won't have a film there this year, will be volunteering in some capacity though not as staff this year. (too busy).... Well good luck everyone... and again I highly recommend attending this festival in person if at all possible, you will get the royal treatment.

Kris Dalton
Lazy Eye Pictures
Ask for me when your in town... I'll be at the fest in the evenings.

Well... I'm not sure why you're posting a huge warning about crappy DVD projection, if you already know that this year everything's standard. :weird:

Anyways... I might bump into you down there this year. I'm going again. Good times. :cool:

Back