Producing Question

I have a question on film producing:
I am recently thinking about this career. I just searched and searched, and just want a little more info on it!
I wanted to know a little more about it. Do you have to actually be with the "movie in making"?
Or could we do it long distances, and get Emails from everyone, or IM?
Thanks,
Arnack

huh?

Arnack said:
I have a question on film producing:
I am recently thinking about this career. I just searched and searched, and just want a little more info on it!
I wanted to know a little more about it. Do you have to actually be with the "movie in making"?
Or could we do it long distances, and get Emails from everyone, or IM?
Thanks,
Arnack

Infortunately, I have no idea what you are asking or what you mean. be with the movie in making... Huh?

could we do it long distances and get emails from every one or IM? What the hell are you talking about?

Sorry, I just don't get what you need. :huh:

Ermm, ok.
If I produce [producer] for a movie, could I, instead of be in the making of the film (with the director and acters) but actually, stay home, or in the area, and get emails from the actors/directors everyday on their progress and questions.
Also, all I know about producing, (if you could make it clearer)is that you make the money decisions, and supply with money.
-Arnack

A producer who isn't involved in the day to day aspects of the making of a movie is called the Executive Producer.

The Producer initiates, coordinates, supervises and controls all aspects of the production process, including creative, financial, technological and administrative. A Producer is involved throughout all phases of production from inception to completion, including coordination, supervision and control of all other talents and crafts, subject to the provisions of their collective bargaining agreements and personal service contracts.

An Executive Producer supervises one or more producers in the performance of all of their producer functions on single or multiple productions.

So yes, you could produce from a remote location (for example you're in Georgia and the production is in Utah) but you would still need a producer on location.

If you're the producer then you're the BOSS.

If the BOSS isn't around then how can you manage the daily goings on, on the set? It would be YOUR money that laid out, or an Exec Producer that gives YOU the money to manage.

Movie making is about the process, if you don't want to be apart of the process, then be a writer and just sell scripts.. you'll probably never have to work on a set.

Be an Exec Producer and fund the films, that way you wouldn't have to work on the set.

The more integrated the 'net becomes into indie filmmaking, the more these things change... Don't tell him he can't be a producer if he can't be on set, that's nonsense. He can produce (without being the exec even) and not have to be on set, as long as someone from his producing team is able to be there.

Personally, though, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be on set. ;)

Typically in independent movie making the “producer” is the person running the day to day operations of the production. It’s all semantic.

Arnack - if you are looking to go to school to learn the business I doubt you’ll find courses in Executive Producing. It sounds as if you need to know all the jobs the producing team does so ultimately you can run a production without ever leaving the office.

A good Producer will usually rise up the ranks starting as an office PA, then Second Second AD, Second AD, First AD, UPM, Line Producer, Producer and finally Executive Producer.

While I wouldn’t use the word “nonsense”, Will is correct. The “Producer” doesn’t need to be on set. A Line Producer can be the on set person.

So I suggest that while looking for classes you should be looking to become a producer. Then you can run the production how ever you want, calling yourself anything you want.

Ahh, so your saying that taking a class on film producing?
And so you ar esaying that a movie could have 2 producers, and one could be at a remote location, while the other is with the day-to-day film making?

Arnack said:
Ahh, so your saying that taking a class on film producing?
And so you ar esaying that a movie could have 2 producers, and one could be at a remote location, while the other is with the day-to-day film making?
Actually, I'm very anti-filmschool so I would never say take a class ;)

Take a look at the credits of any movie out there - you'll see many producers. In fact there are so many people taking "producer" credits that the Academy has restricted the amount of Oscars they will give out to two.

Even on my little no budget DTV movies we usually have at least three: ExecProd (the money), Producer ( the boss), Line Producer (day to day operation).

You know what to do by doing it! Just get a camera, film something and make a 30 second commercial, or a 3 minute short film... The more you do, the more you learn.

There's actually a project, probably way more than one, that is doing almost everything online.

Sticktowhatyouknow.com is the place. The filming is in FL, but there's an FX guy on the West Coast, and one in the North East, and so on...

I guess it COULD be done, but for me... I like to KNOW what's going on.

I'm a professional in the IT industry with 10 years of experience. I just got my Associates Degree last year. Experience is more important than formal education in my experience. It's harder to get interviews, but you bring more to the table than "I read about that somewhere in a book once". I've also found that Classes are much easier to take when you already know the material that will be covered. Since you are judged mainly on your GPA anyway it pays to go into more classes prepared. I struggled in college right out of HS. I didn't have the maturity or the experience to do well in the classes, but when I went back to school, it seemed almost comical in its simplicity.

What he's saying is start out at the bottom and climb your way to the top... get experience then go to school to get a better foundation for the position you want.

Doing it gets you experience and knowledge...

I'm saying you should do both. Don't let a lack of education keep you from doing what you enjoy. If you can't get a job with an established production company, make your own. Start small and learn as you go along. I think education is very important...important enough to want to approach it seriously and maturely. I didn't do this, maybe you can. I can't talk to your personality or experience...only mine.

I personally would recommend producing a short. Find a DP and some actors and a writer or a script....try http://www.gutenberg.org/ for script ideas...these are all free, they're past the mickey mouse laws. Figure out how to get enough money or resources to make a movie, you'd be surprised how much faster you will learn by having a project and people depending on you to finish it. It's very exciting. You will learn how to get by with less money as well.

As the Producer, you will be responsible for getting together the resources to make the movie. This will include locations, permissions, actors, crew, camera folk, grips, writers, money, equipment, props and costumes and money oh my. It sounds like alot, but I'm producing and directing my own no-budget feature right now. I own the camera and the computer, made the equipment for my production company ( http://www.yafiunderground.com ) so it wouldn't count toward the budget for that picture. It's an interesting challenge. Some of the stuff we've done looks like we're learning as we go along...that's an acurate assessment, we are.

Most of what we've done wasn't covered in the shorts I've done so far. It's different to schedule for a 2 day shoot than an 18 day shoot. This has been the most difficult part so far. Keep in mind I said no-budget, so all the actors and crew are volunteering for the experience, they have day jobs and families. This makes them quite difficult to schedule all at the same time.

The exciting part is figuring out the create solutions for problems. Learning to be able to sacrifice the artistic to budgetary and time constraints is a very valuable lesson that you won't fully understand until you try to get 2 actors togethers who have conflicting schedules. All of the planned over the shoulder shots were cut to singles based on this one fact alone. Start to hear your heart pounding in your head when you realize you have an action beat to film yet and you're down to half an hour of sunlight left ("Screw the tripod, we're going handheld"). These things will sound like trite considerations until you're on the set.

Now...the education will give you a great foundation to build on when you get to the set. The things you will pick up from reading works from experienced people will be invaluable. A degree will get you into and through interviews for jobs more quickly. You will learn the language of the industry. You will learn how to learn and apply yourself. You will meet people who will end up being in the industry you're trying to break into. Networking with these people is important, later on they will give you jobs...or you will give them jobs. You will learn more about the jobs on the set than if you tried to jump in and guess.

The moral:

Do both. Summer movie projects are lots of fun. Classes are fun cause you get to learn new things and benefit from the experience of others. You can bring your own learning to the classroom and discuss the benefits of each approach to a particular project. You can find the blending of ideas that most benefits any given situation rather than just hoping yours is the best.

I wish there were film schools in my area, but I'm SOL and have a job where I can't leave the area. I've got to muddle through on my own. To this end, I've done 2 years of research online and read dozens of books on every aspect of filmmaking. I understand the budgetting and the physics of light. The emotion of camera movement and Emotion of action. Psychology of color, framing and editing. I've learned that a little elbow grease will overcome many budgettary constraints. I made a crane at home depot for $30. It reaches 12 feet and fits in my passat. I have a lighting kit that will cover most situations for < $200. I am making my own stabilizer < $20. The only cost on this movie will be crates of bottled water and tape. Costumes were all provided by the actors or my closet. We're not doing makeup or continuity. We're muddling through, but at the end of it we'll have something we can all point at and say..."We made that whole thing ourselves".

Make a movie...and go to school.

Arnack said:
I am talking about producing, not directing. How do I learn how to "PRODUCE" if I don't go to college?
I want to go to college for something.
If you want to go to college don't let me, an anonymous person on a messageboard, discourage you.

As I mentioned in a previous post:

A good Producer will usually rise up the ranks starting as an office PA, then Second Second AD, Second AD, First AD, UPM, Line Producer, Producer and finally Executive Producer.

I deeply believe that a good producer will learn more by working in the business than by learning in a classroom.

The guy that produced my last two movies didn't go to college - until now. He produced two movies before he decided to get his law degree. But each person takes his own path. You're getting good advice here - but only YOU know what's best for you.

Back