Sony HC42-E 16:9 issue

Hi

For the first time in my film making career I actually own a camcorder. A Sony HC42E, which is supposed to shoot "true" 16:9. Now what that appears to mean in real terms is the DV output is 16:9 forced into 4:3.

Has anyone here worked out how to capture the output as 16:9 into Final Cut Express? The 4:3 is no problem. it should be possible FC has a 16:9 viewing option.

I'd upgrade my editing software to Final Cut Pro if it will solve the problem, but I won't if it doesn't.

Any thoughts anyone?

All true 16:9 DV (or HDV or DVDs for that matter) is squeezed horizontally into a 4:3 frame, and then stretched out again when played back on a 16:9 TV.

Premiere used to just detect the 16:9 flag on the tape and automatically set the aspect ratio, Avid doesn't, but has a 16:9 option on the preview window which scales the preview to the correct aspect ratio when editing. I'm sure FCP should do one of those two :).

Ta. I'll have another go with it and see it using the 16:9 view option makes any difference.

I'd still be interested in anyone's experience of dealing with this.

Problem solved. I ended up checking the online manuals.

Basically the aspect ratio problem is one I can solve in Final Cut Pro, but not in Final Cut Express. Looks like an editing software upgrade is on the cards.

Anyhow thanks for the clues, it made the eventual solving of the problem much easier and I now completely understand what anamorphic means. That's what I love about film making, always something new to learn. ;)

What do you want to do with the finished movie? Since 16:9 is just a flag in the bit-stream, you can edit as though it's a 4:3 video and then, say, create a DVD with the 16:9 flag set (assuming the DVD creation software lets you set the flag: mine does).

The downside is that text will be stretched and circles will become ellipses when played back at 16:9, if you put titles and effects on the edited video.

This isn't for making movies. I'm commited to Pro HD or DVC Pro50 for movies.

This is for location scouting and a couple of community projects that I'm working on. Basically the camera is a freebie.

Truth of the matter is that I'm going to have to upgrade to FCP to us the 16:9 footage as FCE doesn't support it. That's not a bit deal really as I'd intended to upgrade anyway.

Thanks for the tips though, but all in all I'd rather upgrade than have to deal with distorted text problems in the fianl output.

Back