CP 16A (non reflex) CP 16R - the difference?

can an expert out there explain waht the difference between the two are? the CP16A is almost (usually) half the price of the CP16R everywhere i look. im actually more concerned with it being sync sound, from my understanding both are. if anyone can help me understand the difference, i would very much appreciate it.

thanks in advance!

non reflex means that when you look through the viewfinder you arent looking exactly through the lens, which means youre not exactly seeing the same framing of the picture.

A reflex viewfinder uses mirrors to provide exact the exact image that your lens is getting.

Ever use a disposal still camera at a drug store? - they have non-reflex viewfinders.

The CP16A is very similar to the older Auricon newsreel camera, in fact the CP16 movement is a derivative of the Auricon movement. These non-reflex cameras often use a Som Berthiot or Angenieux "dog leg" zoom lens that works like the optics of a typical super 8 or the Bolex H16 cameras. They use a semi silvered mirror or prism to pass a portion of the image to the viewfinder, resulting in a slight loss of brightness to the gate (2/3 or 1 stop).

The CP16R is a mirrored reflex camera such as the Arri and Aaton cameras. A spinning mirror doubles as the shutter; when the camera is stopped the mirror transfers the image to the viewfinder assembly; when the camera is running you see a flashing image in the viewfinder as the mirrored shutter swings past.

The CP16R went through a few generations of shutter design. If you have a choice you would prefer the later, "half moon" shutter, over the earlier "bow-tie" shutters, as the later cameras are reputed to have a more stable image with less streaking. The two shutters are not interchangable.

I believe all CP16s are crystal sync motor driven. The Auricons mostly used AC synchronous motors to achieve the same end (not all Auricons are sync; the unmodified 100' CineVoice cameras were not), but they then had to be driven from 120VAC house power, wheras CP16s are battery powered.

I've got a "chop top" Auricon conversion that I've rehabbed and it works great, also a CP16R that I paid 5x as much for, but it's dead in the water. Which one should I use?

Last edited:
I would stay away from anything but the reflex.One of the things to keep in mind when using any camera that was once a TV news camera (such as Auricons.CP's,Frezzis)is that they have seen rough action.Chances are they've been in hurricanes,snow storms,riots and several different photogs,and being a TV news photog myself,I can attest to the fact that not all TV news shooters are as careful about treating their equipment right as I am.

I had a CP 16 A and it had a suspect lens mount which I did NOT know about.Since it was non reflex,I could not see the problem when shooting.Wrecked a whole day of shooting on a feature film.Had it been a reflex,I would've seen the problem through the VF.It was an easy problem to correct,just not an obvious one and it almost cost me a very valueable relationship with a producer/director.

As is always the case, get the camera checked out before you start using it on anything that's costing somebody money & time. Jaxshooter's right about the general amount of abuse that news equipment gets; my CP16R and Angenieux lens came from South Africa TV and probably did capture some gritty, unpleasant scenes in the 70's and 80's. But it's got real African dust tucked away in the corners of the machine, which gives it additional cred. Now if only I could set aside a couple grand for rehab and Super16 conversion I'd be a happy camper; meantime I'll use my Auricon or a Filmo, or rent an Arri SR.

CML has a good thread about CP16 models and preferences:
http://www.cinematography.net/Pages GB/CP16.HTM

Last edited:
I guess I was pretty lucky with my CP 16A once I discovered the lens mount issue.It had been used by one shooter most of it's life I was told,by whomever shot "On the Road "for CBS back in the 70's.It had a squeaky Mitchell magazine,but that was no big deal to correct.

Back