• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Pro on an iMac G5

Hi, I'm new here. I've had experience using FCP at my school and Adobe Premiere at my home. I recently purchased an iMac G5 intending to edit projects with FCP. I was just curious as to whether any knows how it would run on an iMac G5 with a 1.6 ghz processor, 1.25 gigs of ram and the packaged video card.

bogusja said:
Hi, I'm new here. I've had experience using FCP at my school and Adobe Premiere at my home. I recently purchased an iMac G5 intending to edit projects with FCP. I was just curious as to whether any knows how it would run on an iMac G5 with a 1.6 ghz processor, 1.25 gigs of ram and the packaged video card.
That's almost exactly the set up I have. Runs great!

Beeblebrox said:
I run FCP on the substantially less powerful Mac Mini w/ 1GB of RAM. It's slow but it works. Yours should be fine and dandy.
Good point, Beeble.

I have cut several features on my iMac G4 - 800Mhz and 512MB RAM. Works just fine

Im running a G5 Tower with Dual 2.5's, 2GB RAM and FCP5 and can't remember ever experiencing any issues whatsoever. I also have about 230Gbs of a 250Gb HD full with video at the moment. If anything, I figured that would hinder the preformance, but it hasn't.

You should be fine with your setup.

uh, FCP4 and 4.5 require an AGP graphics card so many G5 customers will not be able to use anything but FCP5.
some of the new machines have a PCIexpress video card which is incompatible with 4 and 4.5 and tiger is incompatible with FCP3, so older HW needs older SW and some newer HW needs the very latest SW.

i only know this because my new 2GHz G5 won't run my FCP4.5 and it gives me an error code saying i don't have AGP installed.
looks like compUSA is getting some used HW back on the shelves.

bummer, i really wanted to see how much faster i could render

Back