Question on the 16:9 mode on the dvx 100a

Hi all, I'm shopping around for a DV camera to film some shorts with, and possibly a feature down the road, and i'm seriously considering the DVX 100A. My question is this: since the DVX doesn't have true 16:9 widescreen, it is simply letter boxed, what will the picture look like on a 16:9 screen? On a 4:3 screen it has the black bars on top and bottom, but i'm worried on a 16:9 screen, the image wont look right and will still have the black bars and/or the objects will be disproportionately wide. Can somebody clear this up for me? Thanks in advance!

With a letterboxed DVD, on a widescreen TV you would have to adjust the settings. You would have a zoom option that would make it fit the screen.

Thanks for the reply, but I was also wondering about the real screens they have at film fests and theaters, would the movie fit the screen here as well, or would there be a problem?

Letterboxed videos play fine at festivals. The projectionist will either fit the image on the screen, or (most likey) the black bars will show on the screen so they don't have to re-adjust the projector for certain movies. It will still look fine though.

The DVX has a 16x9 "squeeze" mode which creates a full rez anamorphic picture, exactly what you'd get from an anamorphic DVD. The image is made to fit 16x9 TV's with no black bars, while any DVD player will automatically unsqueeze it for 4x3.

So does that mean that in squeeze mode you can show it on either widescreen tv's or 4:3 and it will appear normal with no stretching? Wouldn't the squeeze mode have a lower resolution? Vinnyd, you should also consider the 16:9 widescreen adaptor lense avaliable for the dvx.

The DVX has a 16x9 "squeeze" mode which creates a full rez anamorphic picture

How can you create a 'full rez anamorphic picture' when you don't have a full-rez 16:9 CCD? For example, I've used the 16:9 mode on my TRV900 and it looks significantly worse than 4:3 footage after it's digitally scaled up in the camera and then scaled back down in the DVD player and letterboxed for a 4:3 TV. Maybe it would look ok on a 16:9 TV, but I've never had a chance to try that.

Certainly DVDs made from my Z1 (with a real 16:9 chip) look much better.

Yes, if you make an Anamorphic DVD it will play perfectly on both 16:9 and 4:3 TV sets.

It's not full resolution. It's about 75% (roughly). Though the image still has the same 720x480 (NTSC) pixels the actual resolution is slightly less. It still looks good though since you're starting with a full resolution progressive source.

lux said:
So does that mean that in squeeze mode you can show it on either widescreen tv's or 4:3 and it will appear normal with no stretching?

Sort of. A 16x9 anamorphic DVD will appear normal on both screens. For tape playback, however, you will need a 16x9 screen to see the footage unsqueezed.

Wouldn't the squeeze mode have a lower resolution?

What I mean by "full-rez" 16x9 is simply that it is output at a full 720x480, as opposed to the cropped 16x9 which has the black bars.

Back