First film, need some advice....

Hi,
I will be filming my 1st film and wanted to get some advice. It's a very simple short journal/documentary piece.

Please let me know if I have everything down:
(1) I have the release waiver forms
(2) I'm going to buy the Panasonic DVX100 camera

Here is where I am in need of advice:
(1) Lighting and Sound

In addition to the DVX100 camera, what specific equipment should I purchase?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Why are you going to buy a VIDEO camera if you are going to shoot a film? PEOPLE: shooting a film and shooting video are not the same. Since some people might not like saying "Shooting some video" just call it making a movie instead. But dont call it a film because it isnt.

You are not filming your first film, you are shooting your first movie.

te3sc,

Have you considered renting your gear instead of buying it? This can be a a good option if you don't shoot frequently. You can save a huge chunk of money... and you'll even be able to hire an experienced DP to run the camera and set up the lights for best results.

Summer... you need a
smiley_hug.gif

:)

Sennheiser shotgun mics are a great choice for microphones, but you can save a bundle and get comparable quality from an AKG.. you'll want a good length (probably 25') XLR cable, and a boom pole (hint, you can save money by making your own)....

There's some decent lighting packages available from B&H Photo.

Before jumping in and buying everything though, you really should consider Zen's advice and explore the rental option. Also, there's some good articles to check out on Sonnyboo's site....

Particularly of interest to you is probably the article he links to on Scott Spears' site, about Low Budget Light Kits

summer05 said:
Why are you going to buy a VIDEO camera if you are going to shoot a film? PEOPLE: shooting a film and shooting video are not the same. Since some people might not like saying "Shooting some video" just call it making a movie instead. But dont call it a film because it isnt.

You are not filming your first film, you are shooting your first movie.

Not offense but come on man that answer sucks! Not wanting to attack a member or be all arseish but come on... I call it shooting a movie or a film. There's something about shooting a video that makes it sound cheap. A movie is a movie a film is a film.

Is 28 Days later a Video? Not its a film. It was shot on video though.

Point made. rant over.

BTW good luck man! Hope your shoot goes well!

Back