Limited Budget which camera should I get?

Ok so we are getting ready to shoot a very simple Childrens DVD series. These are one camera shots that doesnt require any camera movement (other than the possible slow zoomings).

I need a camera that will produce comercial quality video at a consumer price.
I am trying to stay at or under $3500

The cameras I have looked at thus far include:

1. Canon XL-2

or

2. Panasonic AG-DVX100A

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

DVX100A is great, I've heard.
The XL2 is better is you want to make an impression, but it's limited.

Everyone has thier preferences, but from what I've heard, and what most people have, the DVX100A gives the best bang for the buck.

The XL2 is nice, but one of the only advantages over the DVX100A is the fact that it looks like a broadcast camera. Probably better for documentaries, while DVX is probably better for films (especially guerilla films, or ones without permits)

If you wanna impress the kiddies, get the XL2. A couple members here have the DVX and they all seem to love it- but then again, it all depends what you're going for. Both great cams.

ahhahah aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! You are talking in circles.

I am looking for a professional film quality.
Which camera handles color better?

I am trying to avoid having that "greeny filmy" looking layer over the video like a home video camera. Do you know what I mean???

I want this to look like this had a lot of money spent on production.

Thanks

Well both cameras will give you a good quality image, but if you really want the professional look, you need to get proper lighting, good angles and touch it up in post.

Both cameras are great for images. the DVX has lots of options for color correction in camera, more so than the XL2. In my opinion, the DVX100a i much more versatile, and therefore a better purchase.

The professional look will come from the right light and a good post-production team. You can make a 1CCD camera look better than an average 3CCD with good lights and a good color corrector.

Your best bet would be to buy the DVX100a, spend the extra cash on a simple lighting kit, and learn a little about how to light a scene. Then, fool around in your NLE with the contrast and other effects and eventually run it through a filter, like Magic Bullet.

Mind you, this is all theory on my end. I've been picking up tips on the board for a bit now, perhaps someone else can go into more depth!

Last edited:
Go for the DVX100A and use the extra cash for extra batteries, a tripod and some lights. Both cameras handle color well. I think the DVX has more control over video settings.

Scott

Both cameras are good. Toss a coin, roll 2d6, whatever you want. They're that close in quality it won't matter.

But I'll echo what Spatula said - invest in lighting and audio equipment, use it well. A well-lit scene looks better coming off a cheap 1-ccd camera than an ill-lighted scene with professional equipment.

Check out some of Scott Spears' lighting tips here on IndieTalk.

See our scenes (if you really want to call them that) basically involve puppets behind a ledge and some automated toys working the way they work on a table. All of it on a solid white seemless background.
There will be no sound other than classical music for babies on a track that I will overlay later. Its really very simple stuff.
However most of our money is going towards the distribution end.

What I was planning on doing for lighting was going down to Sears or Lowes and getting some work lights and reflecting the light off of white walls in the room. $20 each and alls I should need is 4 at the most.

However the color is very important from the camera as thats what babies really hone in on. These toys and puppets are all brightly colored and I need a camera that can handle it.

Now it comes down to what you guys think is the best computer and software to use for basic DVDs.

I dont need anything fancy. I just need to be able to go from scene to scene in a smooth fade transition and overlay music and sound fx for the background sound.

The DVD menu needs to be very basic with a few options.

I plan on having a Play Once feature and a Repeat Play feature. Those are key.
So if anyone knows the best computer for this and the software to use Id appreciate some help.

I was planning on going with a PowerMac G5, and use the imovie software (or whatever its called).
Is there a cheaper way of doing this? The machine should cost roughly $3200 right now. But if there is a cheaper way of doing it that is just as easy I am alllllllll ears.

WeeDreams said:
Now it comes down to what you guys think is the best computer and software to use for basic DVDs.

I dont need anything fancy. I just need to be able to go from scene to scene in a smooth fade transition and overlay music and sound fx for the background sound.

The DVD menu needs to be very basic with a few options.

I plan on having a Play Once feature and a Repeat Play feature. Those are key.
So if anyone knows the best computer for this and the software to use Id appreciate some help.

I was planning on going with a PowerMac G5, and use the imovie software (or whatever its called).
Is there a cheaper way of doing this? The machine should cost roughly $3200 right now. But if there is a cheaper way of doing it that is just as easy I am alllllllll ears.

Stay away from imovie. Keep an eye out on ebay for Final Cut Pro 4.5 production Suite. You can find it for about $500 or so and will include Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro plus tons of other applications and programs.

DVD Studio Pro is such a wonderful program for authoring DVD's, it is so versatile and easy to do. Menus can be as easy as drag and drop, with a little practice you can add multiple audio tracks (commentaries, etc.) and more, as professional looking as you can get.

Don't settle for less, because you may need this stuff later on.

As for cameras, DVX100A, hands down.

reelfiction said:
Stay away from imovie.

I'll back this up. I have a dodgy 1ccd camera and going from imovie to Final Cut Express was a massive improvement. Even if your dvd's are basic and don't require complicated edits, imovie is way out of league in all areas, even the compression quality to dvd is compromised when using imovie. If you spend all that mullah on a dvx when the colour is a major issue, buy fce of fcp even if you only use it for colour correction. I don't know all the technical differences with imovie and the final cut programs, but I remember seeing a comparison sheet on them a while ago. Maybe someone remembers the link....

well, you estimated $3500 for the machine? Those large mac monitors are nice, but way too expensive. Get comparable LCD monitors, different brands usually run as low as $300 instead of the $1000, or whatever mac is charging right now. That should do the trick.

Back