"Screener" question.

directorik

IndieTalk's Resident Guru
indiePRO
I rarely do this: send out screeners. Most of the time my stupid little movies are made after I get distribution. "dark crimes" is different. Aside from not being a stupid little movie, I made it without securing distribution.

We're having a screeing on Monday (Aug 1) and have told all the distributors who are attending that we will give then a screener - IF they show up. My producer and I are in another of a series of arguments. I want to leave the timecode burn and put "Screener 0805" on the DVD copy I'm giving to them.

Any thoughts in this?

Who are you going to side with? Me - the "artiste" writer/director, or Matt - the evil, money hungry producer?

-rik

Click here for info on the screening

You could mark it the same way cable channels do, when they identify themselves every 10 or 15 minutes.

Have something pop up in the lower left/right from time to time.

It really isn't a big deal if you are sending to reputable companies. We are not in the business to rip off filmmakers (not all of us). I get 25 screeners a week, and some have a watermark, some don't. I'm just looking for good films to sell. We have a reputation to uphold if we want to continue to do business. That's why you should only send screeners to known companies, or those you can check out. Give me a list of those you are thinking about sending to and I'll give you my take on them (via a phone call).

Thanks mbosko.

We're only sending screeners to reputable companies. I wasn't so concerned about being ripped off as I was about doing the expected thing.

BTW: eight of the twelve confirmed distributors actually showed up at the screening and all of them asked for screeners. The next day I got phone calls from the other four sending their regrets and asking for a screener. Then on Wednesday I got five more phone calls from distributors who hadn't RSVP'd one way or the other asking for copies.

I wonder if that means they were talking about my movie?

you must have created a "buzz" - nice work...
you mentioned other films made that have been distributed - what were they, and, are any rights available?
thanks!

Back