Nikon R10 vs. Canon 814 XLS

I'm a total noob to the 8mm scene. I've been reading up on several sites. And It seems like those two are always on the recommendation list of cameras.

Can people share the pros and cons of those cameras? Also the price range I should be paying?

Thanks for the help.

Both are good. There's also the 1014 XLS, a step above the 814. I think FilmJumper has owned both, so he'd be the best to comment.

Here's a nice little writeup on the Canon 814 xls

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/super8_25.html

Actually, the site has lots of great Super-8 stuff on it. :cool:

...and here's the scoop on the R8 & R10

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/super8_33.html

_______

I have a Canon 814 AZ, btw
smiley_dance.gif

I own both (and the 1014). I've used both.

I like the R10 better. Can't really say why - they're both terrific cameras. It seems to me the Nikon is quieter. I like the balance of the Nikon when shooting hand held and it looks cool.

My all time fav Super8 camera is the Beaulieu 4008ZM4. An amazing lens, great optics and smooth shutter.

But of the two you mention - I like the Nikon marginally better than the Canon.

Thanks directorik! I am probably going to own both camera at one point. With my current budget, I just wanted to know which one I should get first.

4008zm4 eh? That's interesting... I'm not very familiar with Beaulieu at all. Can you tell me more about it?

I've got all three... The R10, 1014XLS, and 814XLS.

All really outstanding Super8 cameras...

One of my 1014's has crystal sync so I won't talk about that one as much... I have to say that I really like the Canon over the Nikon. I think it's built a little better i.e., a little more bulletproof.

About 13 years ago, one of my 1014's microphone cable (yeah, I was shooting sound film) got caught around the bumper of a Jeep. The Jeep took off and took the 1014 and tripod with it...

40 feet later, I picked up the 1014... I just knew it was over for that camera because it never really impressed me as far as being heavy duty although it is.

Anyway, I picked it up, checked out... Sure there were scratches and the metal on the lens was slightly bent but we kept on shooting and everything turned out excellent.

This camera is a total workhorse and so is the 814 as long as you keep lots of fresh batteries... Actually, what I used to do was buy rechargeable batteries... That way, on shooting day, I had 4 times the amount of batteries I needed.

I also like the Canon for hand holding shots better than the Nikon... At least with two hands, anyway.

I've poked around with the Nikon and while it takes good pictures, I really think the Canon looks better and is built better all around. My Nikon doesn't seem to be any quieter either...

I've also got several Beaulieus... A 7008, 6008, 5008, and of course the 4008. These are also real workhorses and take great pictures.

But my preference right behind the Canons are the Nizos... They are quiet and again are outstanding for hand held shooting. I have two 6080s that I love dearly... Beautiful cameras.

filmy

Filmy! You have a museum of cameras? :eek:

I'm jealous. ;)

_______

Torokun.

Have you had a chance to actually examine the cameras you are looking at? Both of your choices seem great... but since they were likely made 30-ish years ago, that's a lot of time for abuse/misuse to happen to a piece of machinery. You ought to see which is in better actual condition now, seeing as how they are so similar in theory.

Just something to think about.

Btw, Wendy is 36 years old and she still operates fantasically. :cool:

Torokun said:
Hm... so camera noise is an issue eh? Would it be a same problem if you use boom mic? what are the known solutions for 8mm filming in general?

Yeah, most super 8 cameras have some level of noise issues.

What do you mean the solutions for 8mm filming? Is taht still in reference to sound?

Back