• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Source for music?

Hey, I was wondering what any of you use for music (main theme, or during the film)? I suppose it has to be royalty free to play at festivals with no hassles? So I'm curious to see where I can find something that matches the kind of song I have in my head. Thanks.

Thanks so much for all the sites. I found one I really would like to use from archive.org

However at the bottom of the details it says:

"These works are fully under Free Art Licence available at http://artlibre.org.
That means it's copyleft under some conditions (similar to Share Alike)"

what does that mean in relations to showing it at a film festival?

If you need someting like "background music inside a 7-Eleven" or "Doctor's office waiting room music" then www.FreshMusic.com is the place to go. For $150 you can choose 5 CD's of different genres and use as many songs as you need in perpetuity. It's bizarre that you can't use their music on an out going message, but OK to put in a movie in perpetuity.

if you want a cheap, very cheap alternative to custome designed Music and Sound ( (including Audio Post upto tracklaying, EVEN mixing) drop me a PM. I can get things worked out very cheap for you. And yes, also some of the best foley!

I have had good luck so far using myspace.com to find some real treasures. I actually have had a leg up on the 2 bands/groups I have talked to, as I knew 1 of the members from each group from other communities I have belonged to. Also, try to find bands that are signed to small (indie-type) record labels, not a band that just "freeballs." The reason is because its a little more professional, which is better, imo.

Sample experience: A guy who was a mod at a community I had been part of for over a year had a myspace link as his sig. One day, a couple months ago, I was bored and decided to click it. Turns out he is a rapper in a California group. They are very organised, and very good. Not to mention, there are exactly 0 rap groups that are any good here in Cincy (that I know of anyway). They had 3 songs posted on their page, I listened, I was impressed. So, I sent the said mod a PM and found out he was interested in helping me out. I got in touch with his Producer, then his label. I think the Producer was even more excited than me. I sent him a sample avi file so he could review my style-quality and he agreed to let me use some music in future projects. He is uploading a full CD for me to comb through. For $40 per 250 units sold- per song used- (festival and personal copies dont subtract), I now have a professional quality rap group in my arsenal. Not to mention a free CD.

Like has been said here many times, I found being honest and sincere helped me reach a nice agreement.

Last edited:
haha
namaste is something you tell someone when you meet the person. its almost like 'Hello'

you could say 'Shukriya' which again means Thank You!

someone please deletre posts byy 'FilmInfo;, which are nothing but Google Adsense links

Back