• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound advice for my film

Okay, here we go. I'm currently in preproduction on my film & I need some advice for my sound. Here is what the deal is: We're shooting the video on a VX-2000, I have an Azden 2X shotgun mic & I need to find out the best way to use it. My friend is willing to help shoot with a Canon XL1, which for some reason, I thought had XLR connections. Apparently not. My plan was to record the audio with the XL1 & sync it up with the video in post. The other option is to record to my mini disc player, but it want it to all be kosher & this is where I'm stuck. I could shell out over $100 for a Beachtek adapter for the VX-2000 but I've heard about the hiss on the sound board on my camera, plus the less money I have to spend, the better.. I bought and XLR cable (female) to a quarter-inch cable, bought an adapter to bring that to a 1/8 mini jack to plug into my camera. Should I do this or is this just real bad for the audio signal? Is there any other cheap solutions to this problem? Please help me out & feel free to laugh at me if I'm doing something wrong, but just let me know what it is. Peace!

Pushing your audio signal through that many converters is going to provide a noticable lack in quality. It will work, but I doubt that you will be pleased with the results. It seems that your only options are to track the audio to minidisc or dat, minidisc being the cheaper of the two.

Well, for the film I am currently working on, I tracked straight to the DVX. But in the past I used this to get my mic to minidisc. I couldn't notice any drop in quality and was very pleased with the sound.

As far as gettting it to your mac, it depends on your MD model. When usuing mine, I used USB to transfer to my PC, but I have not tried to transfer anything since we got the new G5. I know that most MD's are a not too MAC friendly and the only way you might be able to transfer it would be to run line out of the MD to line in on the MAC and recorde the tracks from your MD into your audio software. Not the easiests of processes, but MD to MAC options are quite limited.

Mest way to get MD to Mac is to go to your hi-fi rack and transfer the MD to CD optically and then go into your mac via the CD. It's all digital transfer so you get minimal loss.

Back