it's time for a new independent movie industry

Make a movie and then do what with it?.. placed it in film festivals or directly to DVD where few people if any knows of its existence, and face it Hollywood has locked most out, it is simply time for another venue to be created
,The Alanthus Chamber Project is designed to launch a new Independent Movie Industry based in Chicago, pushing movies just like Hollywood does. Complete with television and radio ads, movie theaters and an Independent Sci-fi/horror/creature channel called The Halloween Channel,
the problem is finding the right people who would dedicate themselves to such a project, involvement in this project would insure your place in this Industry, it’s enough talent in this forum alone to launch it, I never went to film school but self-taught myself enough to produce movies and if you go to my website everything on it was created by my brother and I with a project budget of one hundred dollars of duct tape, latex, clay, newspaper and junk around the house and the stuff on the site looks like it took thousands of dollars and a crew to create http://www.geocities.com/funchesfilms/index.html
…sorry to get cocky but I’m looking for those that know they are the best in their ability this is the only way this project will activate, it was told to me by many in the business that the majority of filmmakers go to school but end up in other trades rarely or never to used their talents, are you going to be one of those that this happens to or would you like to get involve in a project to use your abilities..This is a forum but things like this are not discuss here and I would value opinions and if you are interested in joining this project e-mail funchesfilms@yahoo.com

What will it take to create a TRUE Indie industry?

I've been watching your posts for years now about this idea of yours.

I have the same idea.

Fact is, I have MY project in the works right now and want people to join it, over yours.

I think the script I have written has a greater chance of succeeding than anything else that any other indie filmmaker has to offer.

So, here's my suggested recipe for success; help me get my project off the ground and then with the money it makes, I'll help you.

Are you willing to do that?

funches said:
hey Brian
awesome.......post it on the forum

I'm not sure that's a good idea. If it's a great script, make sure it's copyrighted and deal through private channels like email. A synopsis is one thing, but posting a whole script is a little risky.

not talking about posting the movie script.. talking about posting the plan on how to start a new venue for Independent movies

Last edited:
Hey Funches... Glad to see you here! This is an awesome place... AND I have to say that your project is pretty damn awesome.

hey CootDog
Thanks for the welcome, yes I think it's an awesome plan, without the money to activate the plan it is a major undertaking , for you would have to form a collective of filmmakers and businesses that think in this direction and they are rare, but most filmmakers so far are against this idea of a new venue for Independent movies and gives some of the strangest reasons why,.. some of the reasons are so scary you could make a b-movie.. but if Brian have a better idea and save me from the horrors of trying to do it..I'm all ears, can't wait for him to hurry and post it

For me it isn’t about being against the idea, it’s just not understanding it.

I checked out your site and found a link that offered to sell a 30 minute video for $25 and links to the stories available on that video. But nothing about a new industry.

I’m not really interested in buying a short movie, but I am interested in your ideas for a new Independent Movie Industry. It might be an awesome plan - I just can’t seem to find the plan on your site.

What am I missing?

I agree with rik. It isn't like an indie only distributor who gets unknown films out there isnt a good idea, I think every indie in the world would love that. But practicality says advertising costs money. Supplying prints to cinemas costs money. Where does this money come from?

In terms of producing no/low cost features and shorts, of course! We all do that! We take $50 and try to make it look like $500. The question is not achieving good films with little money, the question is creating films of the caliber to attract a legitamite distributor with actual connections to cinemas who has an outlet for the film after a box office run.

Furthermore, I think if you are trying to enlist support, and want your efforts to be evident from people visiting your website, you're going to need to re-do your website. Design and graphics alone, at $8.95 for a domain, if you don't have one, people might question your ablity to provide quality commercials on television at $50k a pop.

What it's going to take -

You do realize, of course, that if we build up the "indie" industry that it will eventually come to be much like Hollywood, right?

I like this idea of "a new independent movie industry". But what is it gonna take to make people stand up and notice it?

Your statement suggests that we need a "new independent movie industry." What's wrong with the one we got now?

I'll tell you what's wrong with it and I'll be the first one to say it! Hold on to your hats boyz and gurlz, because I'm about to get critical on the "indie" industry's Buttocks! (just keep your sense of humor handy and you'll do fine!)

Lets face it, break out pieces from the indie industry are few and far between. And when a really great, break out piece does come along, it's only slightly above the level of mediocrity to succeed, and then the producers, writers and directors from those films get sucked up by Hollywood!

I belong to the local "Indieclub", and most of the films I have seen, made by them are not going to change the indie industry. There isn't anything good enough here to do that, unfortunately. And the problem is, none of these filmmakers has yet zeroed in on what it is going to take to change things.

I do know what it is going to take and I have a plan to make it succeed on a very large scale!

By the way, you'll just have to bear with me, and this is only my personal opinion, but I am totally sick and tired of horror movies, zombie movies, vampire movies or movies with the sick killer in the closet ideas. These types of movies are totally saturating the market and INDIE filmmakers need to avoid them if they want this "new independent movie industry."

Rule No. 1: DON'T do what everybody else is doing! Because we MUST do something totally fresh and unique. Yes, that means stepping out on a limb and taking a chance.

Ask yourself a question: When was the last time you saw an indie movie where EVERY seat in the house was occupied? When was the last time you went out and saw an indie film that stayed in theaters more than six months? When was the last time you went to an indie movie where the line for tickets went around the block?

What the indie industry needs to really get going is a HUGE break out piece that is big enough and good enough to not only succeed at all three of those criteria, but actually exceed them!

One flagship film that will get the entire global film industry excited about it!

Now, that would be good for ALL of us, wouldn' it?

But will you be ready to follow it up with another, and another and a stream of quality films?

Even one flagship film like I have described will not do it. For permanent and lasting change, we'll need a stream of quality entertainment to sell to theaters, television and even cell phones.

Ask yourself this question: If the entire indie industry, just across America, were to get behind just ONE huge breakout piece (and I mean every indie filmmaker in the US), how fast do you think that film would get made?

There are millions of indie filmmakers across America! If they knew that this one film would change the industry for the better for all of them, do you think maybe half of them, or a even quarter of them would participate?

But what story? What script? What type of movie?

I believe I have such a script in my possession right now.

No need to take my word for it, because a lot of people "think" they have that kind of script, but really have a piece of crap. It happens; sometimes people think they are better then they really are, or haven't you watched that: "So You Think You Can Dance!"

I "know" we have that script. If made properly, as it can still be screwed up, I believe that the release of this movie in theaters will see lines going around the block, every theater seat filled and remain in theaters for a year or more!

Wouldn't you like to be a part of a movie like that?

Haven't you ever asked yourselves when the next "George Lucas" was going to come along? Or at least, the next "Robert Rodriguez" or "Quentin Tarantino"?

Isn't it about time for another breakout writer/director to come out of the woodwork?

And wouldn't such a writer/director deserve to have his film made? Especially if he, with the indie film community behind him, actually succeeded in changing the industry forever?

It will only take this one film to get the change started. It will take a perpetual stream of many others to keep it going.

Our film is an epic sci-fi/action adventure, with elements that appeal to the "buddy", "horror" and "romance" audiences. It has been meticulously written to have an appeal to the a general audience while catering to diverse tastes at the same time. Kind of like a layered cake!

It fits all the criteria you have read above in this post.

If you'd like to have a peak of what it's all about, plus a not-very-good (needs to be rewritten) synopsis of the film, please visit www.bitnot.com

And I'll share the script only with those who intend on becoming involved with the production.

Now, the one thing, the only thing that is stopping us from getting produced is, yep, the money!

Ye old grease for the wheels of industry!

But, we have everything else. We even have a crack team of VFX artists, a production house and a render farm for the finished VFX. Some iages of the team's work can be seen at the site.

When I come back, I would like to discuss strategies for raising the money for our film. Because anybody who becomes involved at this stage will have to work on helping acquire it.

"No dough, no show!"

Please browse the site and have fun.

I'll be back,

Brian

The Internet changed everything that we know about film/distribution. For once, the entire populace had one common electronic communication method. it was only a matter of time until film found its way there.

For us indies, without the Internet, none of us would even know the other exists. The top 7 hollywood studios would be our only link to film. For these large studios to boo-hoo the Internet as a valid method for distribution is silly. It's here to stay.

The best part of this is that us indies have the greatest exposure right now. It's Hollywood who's now trying to catch up.

Brian... nice post... it turned into a marketing plea.

I think that funches tagline (new indie industry) and his idea are pretty good. Although it seems to be localized, unless there's syndication of the channel. To me, from looking at the site, it's a project that includes a bunch of shorts that tell a specific story, proving a myth or theory is true. I understand that people that create shorts like that and in that genre could fit very well in Funches project.

Brian's idea, making the best indie movie ever, because he has the best script ever, is what most indie filmmakers believe. I wrote a script and I think it's great. I've read scripts that are great. What makes yours the BEST? Why should EVERY indie filmmaker back you on your project with their money. Seems like you're just asking for investors. Most indie fimmakers have small budgets, so asking them for money may not be your best avenue for funding. Help in making it, yes, help with money, no.
I can't wait to see your Best Indie Movie Ever Made that will Change the Indie Filmmaking For the Better, for only those involved with their money, of course. When does principal photography begin?

Inndietalk.com Is The Place To Be!!!

Lol!!! :clap: :rofl: :haha: IndieClub

That is the perfect example of all the bickering, bitching, and childishness at that site. I haven't been there for over a year because of it and just logged in to see the thread posted by Bird. Well Thank you Bird for showing me that THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE!!! :clap:

The other place, is too middle school mentality for me. :lol:

Last edited:
Wow. Indieclub. Ick. The only reason I go there is because the Captain posts there often.

Brian: I forsee a problem with your scheme. If ALL the filmmakers join up, how do they get paid/credited? I always thought the less crew the better, because everyone can share in the pie. There would HAVE to be a director, etc, and they would most likely get the big rewards.. this in turn won't actually help anyone but the main players in the project.

The current "industry" and media would no-doubt single out the main players. Hence- you'd have a million PA's working for free with almost no hope at getting paid or getting recognition for the project.

Just posing a scenerio. Do you have a plan for that kind of stuff?

What makes yours the BEST?

Good question. There's hardly any way to prove who's is best. But, we can all put our egos aside and decide to do what is best for the industry instead of competing to prove who has the best script.

Instead of asking that question, ask yourself why you believe your script, if done as a movie, will draw the kind of crowds needed to change the industry?

As for financing OUR film, which, why must it be "ours"? Why not make it "yours" too? The script isn't actually "mine" as such, because I didn't write it. I'm not even a writer. But I know what I like in a movie and I like this one alot.

This one has a lot of visual concepts that have NEVER been seen in any movie, ever. I'm talking about the kind of innovations that are on a par with "bullet time" created for The Matrix movies.

The idea I'm getting at here is to automatically put forth the best possible script, no matter who wrote it. I just happen to believe that it is the one we have.

What you do for just one film, you do for yourself.

One of the possible strategies we discussed was (and this is just brainstorming on our part) to create a series of auctions on Ebay, as some have dabbled with before, but with the difference being that each "item" represents a different level of "Sponsorship of a SciFi Feature Length Movie". And you get a "one of a kind bonus item" when the bid reaches a certain level. Some of the bonus items will include one of a kind props, signed and numbered copies of the script or a limited edition print by Kelly Freas (google his name).

Because if there are millions of "indies" out there, then a single dollar from each one could finance our film (relatively speaking). And why not get something that could become "collectible" for your money besides?

All it takes is good promotion of such an idea to make it successful.

But of course we would not consider this the sole source of financing if we did it. But perhaps use it as a springboard to attratc the attention of additional investment.

I would never ask other filmmakers to put their money into our project, no matter how much good it will do for everybody in the industry.

Instead I would invite "partners" to come on as "co-executive" producers to help acquire the money for the film.

And by the way, I must admit I am fairly new to this production company and joined them about nine months ago on the strength of the script and even signed my name as one of the "officers" of the newly formed LLC.

I noticed that somebody posted something that refers to the past before I came on board. I'll just say that the past is the past and it doesn't resemble the present or the future of this company. It's now under new management, so any resemblence to anything from the past is the result of very strong drugs, alien abduction, or temporary insanity.

We have a very good product here, a well developed project, a winning business plan and an incredibly talented team of pros.

And I just feel it in my bones that this is one of those projects that's not like all of the others.

Till the next chimes,

Brian

Okkaaaaay, thought I was doing y'al a service, I could have posted a link to a really bad-ass thread (possibly not, probably deleted) where a rep of said film tried to obliterate another member' project, but, well...since you guys choose to belittle my post.....I won't be posting any more pertinent info about it...

It's now under new management, so any resemblence to anything from the past is the result of very strong drugs, alien abduction, or temporary insanity.

:lol: Paul, is that You?...cause it sure SOUNDS like you?

Last edited:
...I realize that I don't have as much experience in independent film as most of the post-ers on this site, but...and let me put this as diplomatically as possible: Are you crazy? :abduct:

...as much as I would love to be able to give money to folks on the boards who seem to have talent and a great story to tell, how would I get my film made if I did that? Do people actually fund films this way? I am asking seriously, because I would think not. I have seen a few posts, usually by persons who have only made one post, trying to fund their projects this way.

...I have seen good ideas, some good trailers, and not that I'm not a wonderful and generous person with a heart of gold :D but $50 bucks will purchase some mini dv stock, so how much sense would it make to turn it over to an idea I am not familiar with? Am I to just turn it over?

...we ALL have things we need to fund and want to push and that we feel will change the film industry as we know it, but DAMN! Everyone here has to fund their own projects, and as highly as I feel about you all on this site and as much as I like you guys, what sense would it make for you to fund my film as opposed to funding your own project? I feel as if you are great people here, but I don't see myself as EVER asking ANY of you to fund my film in lieu of funding your own project.

...I don't know if that makes me a selfish b**ch, but geez, shouldn't you want to get your own project made? sorry if this sounds like a rant... I'm all for industry reform, but....geez.... If we all do great things artistically, doesn't that help our cause and in turn begin to change things? Hasn't Pulp Fiction done that? Or Memento? Or Boys Don't Cry?.... (i do feel selfish in saying this, maybe I just don't get it...)

--spinner :cool:

Back