New Sony HDV HDRHC1 (Merged Thread)

New Sony HDV HDRHC1

Hey,

Sort of thinking of this new HD CAM for use in some of my first projects. Anyone seen actual footage shot with it?

Chris

Nope. I went into a shop in cardiff to have a 'test run' and they wouldn't even let me touch it a first the bar stewards! But I finally got my hands on it after much persuasion, but even then, the wouldn't let me make it turn over. I get the impression the image quality will be good, but it's still highly compressed with MPEG 2, but then if you have the resolution the compression should only really effect the colour quality. I'm looking forward to seeing it though! It seems the HD is finally become affordable for us indiemaniacs! Woohooooo! HD on a Shoe String!

I have seen probably 3 gigabytes of raw m2t files and I can say this:

Treat it like 50-100ASA film and you should be OK. The images it produces are stunning. Outdoors is unbelievably beautiful. Indoors, the CMOS sensor SUCKS. So you'll need to light ivery heavy like you would for 50-100ASA film.

However, and I have to check on this, I believe there is no aperature control. I'm pretty sure there is no manual control, its all on auto. But again, Ill have to check on this.

But so we can be clear, this cam has nothing to do with HDCAM, HDCAM is a tape format, this records to Mini-DV tapes using the HDV Spec which is the high side of Mpeg-2 compression.

Wideshot,

I was reading a couple of articles in various magazines on this new camcorder. Looks interesting... even if it does not measure up to 3CCD units. HDV is getting more affordable that is for sure.

Chris

Its not HDCAM its HDV.

I think it is very interesting and it does produce a nice picture, but there are limitations. As I said with the FX1, which is still true, if you NEED to get HD, get one of these cameras. See 6 months ago, the FX1 came out and anyone who needed HD then was told by the Panasonic, Canon, etc etc people DONT GET IT It stinks, its awful, panasonic or jvc will come out with a better one. Well its 6 months later, a lot of people undoubtedly have already missed shooting projects in HD. For under $2k Id say get it if you NEED to shoot HD now. Otherwise, holdout for something better.

Hdr-hc1

Sony's new HDR-HC1 is the world's smallest and least expensive HD camcorder. At 7.4 by 2.8 by 3.7 inches, it's about a third the size of previous HD models, and small enough to pass for an ordinary digital camcorder. At $1,750 online, it's about half the price of the FX1. And as if price and size didn't make the HC1 distinctive enough, here's the best news of all: it's also an absolutely terrific camcorder.

Clearly I am an idiot when it comes to camera models and what they can do...

While an HD single-chip, that single HD chip is better than any regular 3CCD on the market today... or so it seems.

Complete article is found here.

If you have a high-definition set, though, you'll see a lot more than something. You'll see a spectacular picture in a format the geeks call 1080i high-def. The video is so clear and sharp, it's not so much a home movie as a flashback.

Does anyone have any news/thoughts on this?

I'm always late to the game. :)

It seems all this camera sells itself for is being hd. I think it is targeted for home video users for their holidays etc. It's cheap so i guess you couldn't expect anything fancy other than high resolution footage.

Not "just" HD

I keep reading posts trying to pass the HC1 off as being nothing more than "just HD" -- This is nothing less than a Godsend to the micro-budget indie filmmaker who has been relegated to using standard DV for the past few years. I have just posted a feature shot with this camera and aside from the obvious shortcomings as far as control (most of which the camera can be tricked into), you're ending up with an image that makes a Panasonic 24P's image downright laughable (yes even considering the HD compression). I'm writing this post for the folks out there who just want the most bang for their buck -- NOT for the geeky know-it-alls who discuss in a masturbatory fashion about things they have little experience with. While they're in here chatting away, you'll be watching your HC1 to Film blowup and actually doing something! Cheers to you!!!

Technically, I just shot a short with this camera. I shot it side by side 16mm 7265. I only got to watch the dailies downconverted, but Id say in anything but low light it looks as good as our VX2000. I loved the footage. I put some in my producers comp at 1080 and it looked wonderful, but I wont know till I get it on my own comp for sure and edit it.

Ive said it since the beginning, whenever the FX1 came out, its good enough and we all need the resolution. You want the super quality? As a broke filmmaker you cant afford it.

Hdrhc1

I shot a test with the Sony HDR HC1.. My freind bought the camera on Ebay for 1500.00... Let me tell you.. This thing is incredible when lit correctly. Use proper lights.. You can get these fluorecent bulbs that cost about 20.00 each and it drapes the image in a nice glow of light with no shadows... Sice it is 1080i it will convert nicely to 24p with magic bullet or dv filmmaker... if you have a limited budget this is a great camera.. It does lack the XLR inputs but I know you know this.... spend more time on lighting and yuo will yield great results... I wish this thing was around 20 years ago... It looks better then any 16mm I ever shot.. not that I was any great shooter back then... But for the money you will not be diapointed....

But don't you understand, it all about the "artifacts" and "noise" and other stuff :rolleyes:

I should be getting the HC1 here today and the tapes as soon as I have a couple of stills to post I will.

Shoot with whatever you can afford

Remember 16mm today is not what it was when I was shooting it.. We had crappy transfers terrible lenses... Today.. 16mm is incredible. You can get pretty close to 35mm quality with super 16... I was just comparing a 1500.00 camera today to 16mm technology of the 80's.... Nothing is perfect. Not even 35mm.. you just have to do the best you can with what you can afford.. Like I always say.. Give me a crappy super 8mm camera and a beginer a high end HD camera and I will still kick their butt. because it come down to content and experience. Not the equipment... So take what ever you can get and practice, practice, practice....

You can get the equivelent of 35mm shrunk to HD if you shoot super 16. No way a s16 blowup holds its own against a 35mm print. And thats just in terms of quality, sharpness, contrast... 35mm has a much shallower DOF and more options like anamorphic.

I totally agree with your pro with a 8mm vs a beginner with an HD, no question. But assuming we're all semi-pros to professionals here, I think well lit HDV simply trounces the SD counterparts, bar none, when projected or shown on an HD set (and thats what we're all going for right?). Further, when downrezzed, it looks as good as most SD cameras I've ever seen.

Another thing I will be doing is adding my 35mm adapter to the HC1 for footage. That adds to the look even more. I wont be getting the camera until tomorrow though because I guess its a holiday.

I was wondering, if I shot in dv mode on this camera, would the single 1/3 cmos chip create a similar quality image to that of a 3ccd camera such as the vx2100 or xm2? Or would it be like comparing a 1ccd camera to a 3ccd camera?

Downconvert

The best thing to do would be to shoot HD then down convert to DV... If you have shoot in DV mode only you may as well buy a used DVX100 on Ebay.. You will get a far better image with a 3 chip DV then a 1 chip HDV....

Back