Getting Shot Effect

Can someone tell me a way to rig up an effect (not computer generated, but real life) of getting shot with a bullet, or point to a place that can

Thanks,
Ian

A little trick I’ve used:

Thread a length of fishing line through a small button with a needle. Carefully punch the needle through the inside of a condom so the button is inside. A drop of latex will seal the tiny hole the needle made.

Fill the condom with blood and seal it.

Attach the condom to a heavy (but small) piece of cardboard with super glue or liquid latex. With a bit of twine, tie this cardboard backing to your actor.

Now score the costume where you want the blood to fly. Thread the fishing line through the costume and set up your shot. When you yank hard on the fishing line, the button will pull out of the condom and the blood will spray.

Or get a hand-pump pesticide sprayer from the hardware store (runs about $25 probably) and some latex tubing. Have a couple inches of blood in the end of the tube and just air behind it so it comes through more explosively, tape it in place. There's more fancy variations on this, but you get the idea. Experiment until you figure out how much pressure to use, etc.

Works best with a blood tech lying down just out of the bottom of the frame with the sprayer trigger, and the tubing running up the pants leg and shirt of the 'victim'.

We just used the pesticide sprayer version of this effect last weekend. It sometimes went well, and sometimes did not. It was probably something we were doing wrong. Its also very slow, as you need to pump up the sprayer to over its pressure capacity before each shot.

Anyway, I'm actually looking for a CGI effect to fix this stuff in post production, does anybody know any resources on that? Thanks.

I did squibs... which for logical reasons I won't discuss in the open forum, as explosives are involved.. (though I think there may be an old post somewhere that explains it)

The trick I found was that I had to use fairly thin blood so it would spray out effectively.

I remember an actor from Gorky Park, Alexei Sayle, telling how in one scene he opens a door to be shot in the head. The thing was he was told not to react to the shot, just to fall over. However they were using some form of 'mild' squib which was some how camouflaged. So every time they tried it, the shock of the squib going off caused him to react wildly (as you would).

In the end he said they just got a drinking straw and packed the end with a 'blood' soaked pulp then someone blew it at him at the required time.

I know the scene he was talking about and it looks very effective, if I remember right.

Steven

Back