processing at walmart?

Okay, I keep hearing that you can process super 8 film at walmart b.c they send away to fuji. :huh: Does anyone know if this rings any truth and if so, is it just a particular kind of stock? I am very curious b/c i want to purchase a super 8 camera so that I can learn in more detail actual film cinematography.

I heard that Walmart did that a few months ago, too.

I checked with every Walmart in my area and none of them did.

If you plan on using the Kodachrome K-40 film (possibly discontinued), it can be quickly processed at Dwayne's. www.k14movies.com

There are several other film stocks for Super-8, as well, and those can be processed at many film labs across the country. You'll have to be mailing them in, unless you happen to live right next to one.

guess I will check a few in my area as well as see what they say, too. okay my next question may sound entirely amatuer an for that I apologize. do some people still actually cut on the film or do most process the film and then get it put in miniDv or some other format. then stupid question #2, when you get them to process and transfer to minidv, what happens to the actual processed film. do they keep it, hold on to it, ect? I use video primarely and have used super 16 at school only and am now trying to learn film from top to bottom now, so again I apologize for some dumb questions.

I know target used to have super-8 listed on its sign (a few years back) and it was really pretty cheap... but in recent checking I've found neither walmart or target do this anymore.

(or if they do, NONE of their employees know about it!)

Wal Mart Still Processes K40! All that they do is just forward to to Dwayne's. Here is what you need to do. Write out all the info on the package, but check the special instructions box. Then in the special instructions box below everything else write(or print this up on the computer and tape it on there) in something to the effect of...
Super 8 Kodachrome Movie Film. Process K40
Dwayne's Photo P.O. Box 274 - 415 S. 32nd Street - Parsons, KS 67357

I've done this in the past and it's always come back in atleast 2 weeks processed! and the best part it's only 4.88 and no shipping costs! :D If you call your local store they will say they don't but the shipping of the film will get to the right places. Those little one hour photo guys don't know about Super 8 film. :lol:

Here is all the Super 8 stock that is available from Kodak .

Don't think that your questions are "dumb," we're all still learning around here too. :) To answer the questions in your 2nd post, yes some people still cut the film. There are quite a few editors/viewers out there for Super 8. I like shooting, cutting and projecting film as it's film and it needs to be seen on a big screen! But others like to shoot film, edit on computer and then export to DVD. Whichever way is fine as your orginal image is going to be on film. :D Normally when you get a film telecined you will get back the minidv(or anyother formate you want) and the processed film you sent them.
Have you desided what brand of camera you might be going after? Hope some of this info helps you out. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Dwayne's only processes one type of S-8 film, mind you: Kodachrome.

Does Wal-Mart/Ritz have some sneaky arrangement with other labs, for all the other many S-8 stocks?

I thought (even though it's not the recommended method) that Tri-X could be developed using the same process.. or maybe it was the reverse that I read.. that kodachrome could be developed with the tri-x process (slightly modified)

As for labs that handle tri-x... the cheapest I've seen is cinelab (www.cinelab.com) $10/50' roll plus shipping. They're located in Fall River, MA. (Somewhere by Boston I think) The nice thing is that it's SAME DAY service. So the day they receive your stock, is the day the process it. ;)

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that Ritz had the same order form that you can find at K14movies.com. I was looking through a binder full of order forms for all the off services that they offer while I was waiting for some help. The folks behind the counter had no idea that they even offered that service. :rolleyes:

Who do you all buy your stock from?

Back