• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Seeking investors for Historical Action Drama

Hi, my name is Shaughnessy McDaniel and I'm the director of Per Mare Per Terras. Production on the film has begun but money and resources are dwindling and we need investors to keep this production alive. Per Mare Per Terras is the first of its kind, an Independent Short Epic. Running 30-40 minutes in length, Per Mare Per Terras tells the story of two cousins and their valiant attempt to protect their land during the turbulent time surrounding the Scottish Wars of Independence. Action, Romance, and a climactic battle highlight this ambitious piece. E-mail me at ObiMcD@hotmail.com for more info or check out our E-bay funding auction Here

Let me be the first to say: :welcome:

I kinda like the idea of getting money through an eBay auction. I'll be watching to see what happens.

One thing you don't mention is any return on the investment. Have done research into films of your length and genre (or any genre) making any money back? Or are you looking for donations?

Another thing you didn't take the time to mention was how much you need. As much as possible? Do you need $30,000-$40,000? Only $1,000?

An investor willing to help you out is left with a LOT of questions.

As much as possible definitely. I simply figured $1,000 would be a good start and could automatically buy you a credit. $1,000 will probably get us through that stretch, provided there are no random mishaps. Of course any amount helps. The thing about this length and genre is that really, I don't know that anything like this has ever been done on a budget like this. Therefore I can't project potential returns. I did, however, mention the possibilty of deferred payment. At worst, it's a donation, at best, an investment.

Possible deferred payment means you think there is a possibility that you'll make money on this. Am I correct? Other than a belief in yourself can you show that a movie like this will make any money back?

I'm not being confrontational - just trying to help. Someone donating money is one thing. People donate money to filmmakers they believe in all the time - an investment in your career so to speak. But you're asking strangers to give you money. And the filmmakers on these boards spend every last cent on their own movies. Maybe if you go about it differently, you'll get better results.

Of course you'd like someone to give you $100,000 (or even $1,000,000) to finish your film. But saying "as much as possible" makes it seem as if you don't really know how much you need to finish your movie.

If I were to donate the $1,000 on eBay would this get your movie finished? Or would you get a little further and then need more money?

When asking for money - donation or investment - you should have a clear plan. People will always ask, "What's in it for me?" I know what's in it for you - you get to finish your movie. What's in it for me (or anyone) who gives you money?

DV, though we could film the rest of the movie in HD if we had enough money. :). Additionally, films of this genre are clearly profitable. Braveheart and Gladiator were huge blockbusters, and this is a film very similar in style. $1,000 would almost definitely get the film done. With $5,000 I would give you a complete guarantee that it would be completed. Any additional money would make the film better and look better for film festivals and the like, but 1-5 grand would get it at least, finished. Like I said before, this is a type of film that, to my knowledge, has never been done on a small independent scale like this. The use of money saving techniques (camera tricks, simplistic costumes, few sets) allows us to do this. The expenses we have now are for costumes, weapons, and manpower. If seriously interested in investing, I would be more than happy to show you the entire film as it is so far. Feel free to ask any further questions.

Last edited:
First major project? Kind of. We've tried several other projects before but they've failed for very similar financial reasons. We have completed a lot of shorts, some of which are available at our website.

I suppose that's pretty big time stuff, but I'll bet you could save a whole lot of money by finding somebody else. Just a thought. But then again if money's not an issue than go for it.

SirLaosson said:
$5,000 thats cheap

My armour for my movie will cost $50,000.00 eachs

smiley_nose.gif
Indeed.

(My apologies to the good Mr Piper, with the slight thread derailing. Here's hoping you raise your budget. :))

Last edited:
Lone Piper Productions said:
$1,000 would almost definitely get the film done. With $5,000 I would give you a complete guarantee that it would be completed. Any additional money would make the film better and look better for film festivals and the like, but 1-5 grand would get it at least, finished.

...what you want to do is look for 'finishing funds' grants. $1-$5,000 is not that much and many grants are for small amounts like $2,000 and since they are grants, you are not expected to have to have much of a return on the funds you receive. Put 'Finishing funds for film' into your search engine, you should be able to find something...

...and don't worry about 'failure', its a learning experience...I personally reject failure :D takes your head out of the game....

--spinner :cool:

save on armour

if its any help i am in the know armour wise as i have several suits myself , if you would like to save a bit of your budget i can recommend some uk armourers that export and have armour made to fit or off the peg . the armour i used was my own in my film as were the tents and props . cost of armour works on the principle of period ,eg 13th cenurty chain mail will only cost about 350 pounds a fully armed knight 1000 pounds in the uk .sorry to go off thead thought it may help

Back