Air compressed Squibs - an takers

I have been experimenting with air compressed squibs lately - although it has its advantages, I am finding it difficult to work with - ie; stopping the fluid from leaking onto the shirt before the blast and scoring the shirt without it looking scored. Anyone have some success they want to share?

Air compressed Squibs - getting better and better

Well, I have had some great results lately with my rig. Did some tests today with the scoring of the shirt that works well - and it doesn't use tape which I find holds the ripped shirt too much and it doesn't open.
All in all, I am extremely happy with the 8+ hours I have put into this in the last 2 days. I have managed to keep the blood in the end of the tube and stop it from leaking on the talent - AND created a strapping system that holds it to the body.
Now, onto multiple shots with one trigger!

Here are a couple of the test shots - I know that stills don't it justice, but you get the idea.

http://public.fotki.com/DavidJohnson/special_fx/

I use a little nonstick tape on the back of the shirt and a little plug of derma wax at the end of the tube.

You have to be a little more careful when using this method. A long fight followed by the shot is out of the question, but with a little careful storyboarding you can set up the sequence to be very effective even with the costumes scored and taped.

Absolutely, unless you intend on stringing tube all the way down the talent's pants and out their legs - without shooting the ground - this is a cut to shot. Maybe someone walking a few steps and then the gunshot or splatter, but a long scene real squibs would be better for (but more expensive and more dangerous)

Back