Capturing from DVD's

I made a short film almost a year ago now with a friend of mine, and the only copy I have is a DVD version with a menu and such, and I can't figure out a way to capture the actual video into premiere so I can make some changes to it. I know there are some Mac programs that I've used to capture footage from DVD's, but I don't know of any such programs for a PC. If anyone knows of any programs that would help me, or if there is some way I can do it in Premiere Pro I would greatly appreciate the help.

Your best bet would be to search the internet for "Converting DVD to AVI." There are plenty of forums and websites out there with full instructions on how to do this. You will most likely need to go though several different programs (and file conversions) before you get what you need. It is a long, laborious task...

Dvd Editing On Pc

SevenKnife said:
I made a short film almost a year ago now with a friend of mine, and the only copy I have is a DVD version with a menu and such, and I can't figure out a way to capture the actual video into premiere so I can make some changes to it. I know there are some Mac programs that I've used to capture footage from DVD's, but I don't know of any such programs for a PC. If anyone knows of any programs that would help me, or if there is some way I can do it in Premiere Pro I would greatly appreciate the help.

Use "POWER PRODUCER GOLD"
http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/cyberstore/cyberstore.jsp

You can edit and re-edit with this software. You must have DVD writer for the same to copy from hard disc to dvd video disc. You can redefine / demerge CHAPTERS, HEADINGS and SUBMENUS. If you do not want Menus - Chapters, you can remove it. RESULT : Very Good.
Wish you good luck.

SourceForge.net has a few things that you can use... free.

You'll need to keep a few things in mind...

1) Obviously, you'll need the permissions to do what you want to do.

2) The VOB rips tend to pull an mp2. Conversions to friendlier formats are simple, but can actually magnify compression errors.

3) The resolution of the VOB is set as is, even though the original source may have been better.

4) You won't be able to split the sound layers apart.

If you can't find what you need at SourceForge.net, you can always arrange an export to a DV camera, and bring it back in.

:cool:

Back