• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

transition to new scene effects

how do i make the scene fade when its going to a new scene. where you can still see the old scene as you fade into the new one.

...don't fade, Dissolve from your first scene to your next. Hopefully, you will have some extra footage that you can dissolve over without messing up the next scene.

what other software has it. right now im beginner and have just had movie maker which was on my pc. i dont know if its on there so what software or program has that dissolving transition. also im just going to use my dads video camera to make shorts right now until i can save up enough money. so how do i get whats on the camera onto the computer and once im done editing do i save it to a disc or does the video on the video camera change.

spinner said:
...don't fade, Dissolve from your first scene to your next.
A dissolve is two fades (cross-fade). Not sure what program he is using though or what it's labeled.

Andrew.
Movie maker has a fade transition. Just look under the 'Edit Movie' -> 'View Video Transitions' You'll see it labeled 'Fade" there.

As far as capturing, firewire is most commonly used, but if your dad's comcorder doea not have that you'll have to get and analog capturing device to capture and log your footage. It won't alter any of the footage on the camera. You will just be 'cpoying' the footage on to your computer so you can edit it. When your done with you edit, you'll have to export it to the medium of your choice.

andrew16938 said:
how do i know if it is has firewire and if not where can i get the analog capturing device

Most cameras, even the cheapest ones, have firewire (or dv input)..... unless they were made god knows how many years ago. Not sure where to pick up a capture card from...

You can get a capture card from CompUSA, BestBuy, Fry's Electronics, and maybe even Circuit City... You might find it at officemax or officedepot too... but try the others first.

ATI makes pretty good ones...

You bring the footage into the PC and edit it there. What kind of camcorder is it? Does it have a FireWire port? Does your PC have a firewire port?

You could ask your dad if it has a firewire port, or the manual will tell you.

Back