help me to fill a gap

Hi All,

Could you please help me to fill a gap between these steps:
"A movie is finished and ready to be show"
and
"Sending the movie on festivals".
I mean: should I have to do something special(like copyrighting(why?), getting some documents(how?), etc) before actually sending it on filmFestivals.
Another question: If some movie was sent on festival, e.g. in a past year, is it possible to send it in current year too?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

You'll need to make sure you have all your release forms signed from your talent. You want don't want them knocking on your day down the road telling you that they don't want you showing that anymore.

I have gone and copyrighted the screenplay and the title of the movie as well. You want to have full ownership of everything.

Every festival has different submission guidelines, you'll just need to look into each particular festival and see. Some will only allow re-submissions in following years if the film has been drastically altered, as in a serious re-cut of some type.

AdamG said:
You'll need to make sure you have all your release forms signed from your talent.
I have gone and copyrighted the screenplay and the title of the movie as well. You want to have full ownership of everything.
Thank you very much, AdamG!
Does FilmFestival will require: the release forms; the screenplay and the title copyrighting; evidence of the ownership? Or it should be done "just in case"?

And one more question about the ownership: do you mean it for all all stuff which has been used for a filmmaking(FilmEquipment, Grip, Software, Studio-Room, Costume-Dress, etc.)?

Does FilmFestival will require: the release forms; the screenplay and the title copyrighting; evidence of the ownership? Or it should be done "just in case"?

Most festivals will (or should!!) get you to sign a release form or the like stating, among other things:

...I have secured all necessary rights to permit the screening of my film at FILM FESTIVAL and will not hold FILM FESTIVAL or any of their employees liable for damages, injuries or copyright infringements that may arise as a result of my film’s screening at the festival...

Once signed, this means, that should anyone try to collect for unfair use of image etc, the festival is safe and the filmmaker is the one responsible. If you do not have any back up for these things, you could, in theory, be sued for false ownership of rights.

The signing of such a release, usually is all the festival needs - they don't need to see your paperwork - unless something comes up...

J.

AlexGg said:
"A movie is finished and ready to be show"
and
"Sending the movie on festivals".
Alex.
...I agree with everything that has been said, but think this way: NOTHING GETS SHOT WITHOUT A RELEASE FORM. You should have these before the film is anywhere near editing and post if it is possible. You wouldn't want to create your film and not be able to show it at all. It will be easier in the long run to know that this end is tied up before you get started...

--spinner :cool:

Back