• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Celtx - Free Open Source Scriptwritin Application

Hi Folks,

Alerting all the indies out there that version 0.9.0 of Celtx is now available.

Celtx is a free, open source, scriptwriting/editing application with preproduction features as well. With version 0.9 we introduced a host of new script writing features.

Celtx also offers collaboration via the internet and is cross platform, running on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Checkk out celtx here.

Cheers,

Steve Pick
celtx.com

Steve, thanks for sharing Celtx. I've downloaded and given it a quick test drive - pretty slick application... on both the PC and Mac.

this looks really cool. I'm going to download it and try it out. Will it import, for example, Final Draft scripts?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice words. We've been working pretty hard on this over the past year and we have a lot more to come.

mrde50 -

No, it's not required to create an account for online services, I think you can cancel the registration process, but I will double check to be sure. You only access the celtx server when you choose to use one of the server side features, such as PDF generation and collaboration services.

Not sure what you mean by 'exclusively open source'. The celtx application is open source. Our project page is hosted on Mozdev - http://celtx.mozdev.org. You can download the source there.

film8ker - you can import scripts from Final Draft if you save them as 'text only with layout'. This will preserve the formatting of the script in a plain text file. Celtx is able to import this type of text file.

Thanks a lot guys, if you have any more questions let me know here, or check out our forum .

Cheers,

Steve

spick said:
Not sure what you mean by 'exclusively open source'. The celtx application is open source. Our project page is hosted on Mozdev - http://celtx.mozdev.org. You can download the source there.
I should have worded the question differently, sorry. Don't get me wrong, we NEED an open source competitor to Final Draft, I'mjust too darn cheap to pay $200+ for it.

My real question is are you a for profit company? Of so, how are you making money releasing an open source project or is this a personal project?

Hey Folks,

Alexg - Their aren't any printing issues that I'm aware of. What are you experiencing? Perhaps you could try saving your project as a text file using 'Save As'. Then open the file in a text editor and try printing that. Report back your results...

Robert - We are releasing the Celtx client for free. We hope to generate revenue through compelling server side features, such as remote encrypted storage, encrypted collaboration, advanced Project Central features, and an advanced CVS system. If you feel any of these extra services would be worth a subscription - great, if not, you are welcome to use the Celtx client for free.

Cheers,

Steve Pick
celtx.com

Back