• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adapting from History

Greetings.

I am currently working a script involving certain events from the Civil War -era, and although the original idea was sparked from reading a historical work on the same events I am not necessarily trying to take my script from it (I happen not fully agree w/ some of the author's conclusions, etc. and I know that there are other books that I may also be using as source material).

Now, as I do not want to get sued for stealing, since I am really just "appropriating" (love that word!) is there a way that I can creatively utilize the material w/o directly citing it? I would assume that since the events can be found in any textbook there should be some way to do it. Or, would it be smarter to seek out the rights (and pray that 1. they are available, and 2. within my modest means?) and save myself the headache?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
depends...

Rock71 said:
Greetings.

I am currently working a script involving certain events from the Civil War -era, and although the original idea was sparked from reading a historical work on the same events I am not necessarily trying to take my script from it (I happen not fully agree w/ some of the author's conclusions, etc. and I know that there are other books that I may also be using as source material).

Now, as I do not want to get sued for stealing, since I am really just "appropriating" (love that word!) is there a way that I can creatively utilize the material w/o directly citing it? I would assume that since the events can be found in any textbook there should be some way to do it. Or, would it be smarter to seek out the rights (and pray that 1. they are available, and 2. within my modest means?) and save myself the headache?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If your story is about the Civil War or even specific events taking place within the Civil War, you should be fine as long as the stuff you're appropriating isn't specific to ONE resource. Normally, if we can find the same information in several other resources and those resources do NOT base their research on one specific resource, you'll be okay.

As for creatively using material...

You can creatively use any material as long as you change enough of that material so that it is not recognizable as specifically coming from one resource.

Since you're talking about the Civil War, enough time has passed that you should be in the clear... It's when you get into events where the people are still alive you get into trouble...

Having said that...

Whenever a fairly successful film comes out, it's possible for potential lawsuits to be filed as well. Just part of the business which, is why I usually stick with original stories... But again, I think you're safe as long as you're not using information from only ONE identifiable resource.

Good luck.

filmy

The other option is to make use of public domain material (check out the library of congress and such... could probably find some diary entries and the like that are clearly not copy protected)

History Books, providing they are non-fiction, are built from orginal source material and this is listed as a biliography usually at the back of the book.

The trick here is to not really on the one text book, but to use it as the starting point for examining the source material. Once you base your script on the source material you are safe. If however, you can't be bothered to dig deeper than the one text book then you are leaving yourself open an infringement of copyright suit.

It's just a case of putting in the footwork and to be honest better scripts come out of detailed research of source material.

clive said:
The trick here is to not really on the one text book, but to use it as the starting point for examining the source material. Once you base your script on the source material you are safe. If however, you can't be bothered to dig deeper than the one text book then you are leaving yourself open an infringement of copyright suit.

It's just a case of putting in the footwork and to be honest better scripts come out of detailed research of source material.

True enough. As far as I am aware there is nothing in my original reading which is unique to this text, but I suppose that it may be worthwhile to research it further to confirm that.

Thanks again.

Back