Advice

Hi,

I am currently just a junior in high school, but i have already determined that i am interested in either entering film or television as a career, and I am devoting a lot of time to learning as much as possible. I luckily managed to land a gig editing for a local event video studio editing. The pay isn't great but hey, it's a start. Everyone tells me, "Go into television, everyone in film ends up broke off their @$$." I mean, I think I would like television, but film just seems to have a certain allure." I am wondering if anyone has advice on schools that are reasonable to get into, and how to get started in the industry? Is it possible for a 17 year old to get work as a gofer even just to learn? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Jason

See, I think the reason so many people end up broke is that it cost money to get into the industry unless you have great nepotistic contacts. Production is depressed in many areas of the US, and doing okay in others. Most likely you will have to travel to the location that the film is being made, and live there for several weeks to several months. Unless you get onto a union gig, it’s likely that you will have to work for low/no pay too. Don’t be fooled by deferred pay. Usually, that’s the same a no pay even if there is money you’re eventually entitled to. If I were in your position, I would get an el cheapo camera and editing program, shoot some stuff and have fun, and try to get into a reputable film school. At school you’ll gain credible experience you just can’t get on your own, learn a lot, and meet people and start your contacts network.

It sounds like you have a good year or so left before you need to decide really. I'm not familiar enough to give advice with regard to schools but in the meantime there's a lot you can accomplish! Hang around, read up on the theory of movies and shoot a few short pieces :).

...well, first of all, you live in Chicago. Hello? COLUMBIA? :D I have a friend about to graduate from that film school this year...

...also, since you live in market 3 or 4 (market meaning the third or fourth largest city in the country)...there are many more places for you to look at to try to break in to the business. Contact the Chicago Film Office and you can get a free book of all the production companies, post production companies, editing boutiques, makeup people, freelancers, etc. in the metropolitan area. I know because I have asked for them before...

I can't really help much with schools, but UCLA and USC. NYC... the only other schools I know of. And they can be pricey... I'm sure someone else on the boards can help though...

I luckily managed to land a gig editing for a local event video studio editing.

...if that is the case, you are in the best position you can be in when you are still in high school. Be professional, be on time, listen and try to learn what you can. When they find that you are responsible and reliable, who knows what could happen? Don't forget to ask good questions, too. Just ask them at the most opportune time for them to be answered.

...most people don't mind telling you what they know, as witnessed by those on this website...

--spinner :cool:

Thanks for the sound advice? I have heard in the past mixed things about Columbia, as people who have most likely already broken into the industry, is it a respectable school for film and television? I am pondering taking a class or two there in the next few weeks, I would be paying just $300 for two credit hours, which seems like a pretty good deal.

...the school won't make you good at what you do. You have to do that part. :D It will teach you how to use the equipment and other things that may prove valuable for your field. You can also consider public access television, which is free and you get to learn the equipmnet also...

--spinner :cool:

Back