shooting in HUGE warehouse/radio studio

Big news for me guys, I have a massive ex-radio station available to film in. It consists of 8 or so small rooms, an orange kitchen, bathroom, 2 main recording rooms (complete with sound proofing and re-enforced doors) and 2 large warehouse style rooms and much more. It has wide warehouse styled windows but they face south so they don't get much light But I do have plaster walls I can demolish! :bang:

The only problem is it doesn't have electricity but I can get it within a couple of weeks and I should have until the end of the year before the studio is renovated and ready for the owners to use. I'm thinking of a possible Reservior Dogs styled film or film through the glass in the recording studios to make an interigation room. Basically i'm looking for something dark / menacing / completely crazy and it looks like I will be shooting many short films considering the time I have.

If anyone has any ideas or tips to help me get the most out of this rare opportunity (I am open to the craziest ideas imaginable) I will sell you my soul :contract:

Last edited:
...good for you!

....do you already know what you will be shooting or are you still thinking about(trying to come up with) an idea? How long will the space be available to you?

--spinner :cool:

It could easily be a mental asylum.
smiley_creepy.gif

Or how about using that room with the long window as some kind of quarantine ward at the CDC, or similar?

...office building.....dormitory with study room (room with long window)......abandoned warehouse.....music recording studio (there's a good one, use that long window).....police precinct....

...maybe not so dark or menacing, but anything could be made dark and menacing

--spinner

The Thing...

lux said:
Big news for me guys, I have a massive ex-radio station available to film in. It consists of 8 or so small rooms, an orange kitchen, bathroom, 2 main recording rooms (complete with sound proofing and re-enforced doors) and 2 large warehouse style rooms and much more. It has wide warehouse styled windows but they face south so they don't get much light But I do have plaster walls I can demolish! :bang:

The only problem is it doesn't have electricity but I can get it within a couple of weeks and I should have until the end of the year before the studio is renovated and ready for the owners to use. I'm thinking of a possible Reservior Dogs styled film or film through the glass in the recording studios to make an interigation room. Basically i'm looking for something dark / menacing / completely crazy and it looks like I will be shooting many short films considering the time I have.

If anyone has any ideas or tips to help me get the most out of this rare opportunity (I am open to the craziest ideas imaginable) I will sell you my soul :contract:

John Carpenter's remake of THE THING comes to mind based on your new location opportunity... Possibly some kind of story where tempers flare, nobody trusts anyone, etc...

Good luck with it!

filmy

haha great ideas guys. After hearing these suggestions it looks like i will be making more films then I expected... I particually like the paranoid 'The Thing' idea by filmjumper. I guess that would work well in covering as much of the warehouse as I wanted. I don't know if any of you have seen it or how I can do it, but I would like to have a similar weird feel to it as Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle.

Maybe I could make one studio as an interigation room and the opposite one as a decontamination room and film them at the same time (e.g. reflection of one room in the glass of the other if that makes sense). Perhaps this could all happen inside a mental asylum :lol:. Anyway I just loaded some more pictures at http://photobucket.com/albums/b98/zerolux/ clive. I should have until around about chirstmas holidays to film it in the state it is in now, but after then it will be renovated into lecture rooms somehow so the effect will be gone. Thanks for your help so far guys!

Last edited:
...okay, dude, THAT is an INSANE ASYLUM. That's what that is. :scared:

Pic #2: that is an observation room
Pic #3: nice rafters, all the better to hang someone from...
Pic #6: INSANE ASYLUM, nothing good can come from this place :eek:
Pic #7: really good waiting room, (waiting to DIE)

...you have hit the jackpot! You GOTTA do something great with this! I want the screenwriting, filmmaking, creative fairies to pour buckets of luck on you. I want the planets to align. I wish you all the luck you can get from every lucky penny and every four leaf clover you can find.

...and most of all, I want to see what you do with this when you are done! That place is soooo coool!

Thanks for your kind wishes, especially spinner :lol: I knew I struck luck as soon as I opened the warehouse doors. It could be a hard task with no budget but i'm sure I can work things out and make something special. I'll keep you guys posted.

I've got an idea.

"24 Hour Pirates"

Four Girls start a rock band, but no one will take them seriously. So they decide to take over an abandoned radio station and turn it into their very own pirate radio. When the Police and the Radio Authority try to close them down, they baracade themselves in, refusing to come out until someone gives them a recording contract.

Though they will naturally need something to keep the police back - either threats to kill themselves or shoot police etc.

Yes, One of the reasons I like the idea is that it could either be played as a light comedy or as something that starts light but though the course of events spirals out of control.

Of course the other reason that this idea came up is that I'm working on a video concept for the girl band that I co-manage, "The Sexploits" who are about to record their first single. I may well use a variation of this idea for the video.

However, that said I just thought that this idea could easily become one of those quirky Australian Comedies that do well internationally, like "The Dish."

Ahhhh cheesy Australian comedies :lol: , something we are good at, I see the potential. I think I will decide on a story and write a script ready for the sepember holidays when I will start filming, preferably in one day as I will be hiring a decent camera.

clive said:
I've got an idea.

"24 Hour Pirates"

Four Girls start a rock band, but no one will take them seriously. So they decide to take over an abandoned radio station and turn it into their very own pirate radio. When the Police and the Radio Authority try to close them down, they baracade themselves in, refusing to come out until someone gives them a recording contract.

It's a little "Airheads". I think it needs a twist. How about they go to hijack thier local radio station, but when they get there and FIND it's abandoned and venture inside, it turns out it's actually a facade. In the basement corridors, there is a room that is locked... and inside that room there is a man... something like that... maybe he turns out to be Jesus... maybe he's Pauly Shore... I'll leave that up to you!

The whole radio-station hijack was done in "Airheads" and I believe it was done well. Brandon Fraiser, Adam Sandler, Steve Buschemi, Micheal Richards, Chris Farley.. tons of good talents. Go check it out.. I rememeber enjoying it!

Spatula said:
It's a little "Airheads". I think it needs a twist. How about they go to hijack thier local radio station, but when they get there and FIND it's abandoned and venture inside, it turns out it's actually a facade. In the basement corridors, there is a room that is locked... and inside that room there is a man... something like that... maybe he turns out to be Jesus... maybe he's Pauly Shore... I'll leave that up to you!

The whole radio-station hijack was done in "Airheads" and I believe it was done well. Brandon Fraiser, Adam Sandler, Steve Buschemi, Micheal Richards, Chris Farley.. tons of good talents. Go check it out.. I rememeber enjoying it!
...yeah, its kind of Airheads, but if often movies rework old ideas...(not that you would EVER do THAT :D )
Airheads meets Resident Evil might just work...

...uh, hey Clive, just out of curiosity, what kind of girl rock band? Rock like Destiny's Child or Rock like Kittie?
just wondering :hmm:

"Airheads"

Will anyone believe me if I say I haven't seen it? Just goes to show that there's no such thing as a new idea.

Well, not in my head anyway. :lol:

I like the idea about there being someone else in there as well. Have you got a politican over there who having fallen from power in a sleazy scandal is now just a cheap media whore (we've got lots of them), someone like that living like a hobo in room pasted with their press clippings would be good.

...uh, hey Clive, just out of curiosity, what kind of girl rock band? Rock like Destiny's Child or Rock like Kittie?
just wondering

Rock like early Debbie Harry

Actually on a more serious note it might be worth you having a look at Luc Besson's first film "La Dernier Combat." The location you've got reminds me of that film for some reason. It's a wonderful film anyway.

Back