Is iDVD deliberately poor?

Hello,
I've just got a shinny new G5 at work and was looking forward to burning some test footage I had shot to DVD.

I plan to buy FInal Cut Studio but was hoping iDVD would have some uses.

I have found away around the annoying 'themes', but why does iDVD create movies at 640x480, even for PAL? As far as I am aware PAL DV resolution is 720x576. iMovies seem to be created at 784x576 (with a slight border) which is close to 768x576 VHS format. (I HAVE SINCE FOUND THAT I'VE GOT THIS WRONG, I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE, SORRY ) :blush:

So why is iDVD such low quality? I am hoping the answer isn't, "Because they don't want to effect sales of their more professional software".

Steven

Last edited:
StevenUK said:
So why is iDVD such low quality? I am hoping the answer isn't, "Because they don't want to effect sales of their more professional software".
I guess the cynical would say that - and it might ne true. You could also say that you get what you pay for. iDVD is a free program installed with every Mac. It's primary use is for families making DVD's of a day at the beach or "Steve's 4th Birthday"

Firstly, I have since found out that I may have made a mistake about iDVD's PAL DV resolution.

Although I agree with directorik about it getting what you pay for. I would point out that it comes as part of a peice of kit with quite a hefty price tag.

I'll start saving up for Final Cut now I've had my moan.

Back