HD Premiere

Well, it was the premiere of No Place yesterday. Which went well.

I just thought you might be interested in some feedback on the event, because as you know we shot on both High Def and DVCPro50 (Up converted to HD in post) and then projected it with the new Panasonic HD Projector in a medium sized arthouse cinema (260 seat capacity).

The first thing is that HD looks beautiful projected and easily competes with the resolution of film. The resolution is perfect and our landscapes were just stunning on the large screen. We got lot's of very positive feedbacka bout how beautiful the film looked, not something that people expect with a digitally produced movie.

The interesting thing was that the DVCPro50 held up really well and although it was lower resolution than the HD, it looked very, very good. We'd used it for war flashbacks, so the slightly grittier look it helped give it an ENG look.

If I'm honest I really liked the look of the DVCPro50 footage and would feel confident in shooting a whole feature on it (Providing I up converted in post). This is something that I couldn't in all honestly say about Digibeta.

I know the jury is still out on HD, but I've got to say that seeing the film yesterday just confirmed my belief that it's the format of the future. What I want to do next is shoot some test with HDV and see how that holds up on a cinema screen.

Congrats! I'm glad it went well, and I hope that some of that good buzz translates into a deal of some sort.

clive said:
The interesting thing was that the DVCPro50 held up really well and although it was lower resolution than the HD, it looked very, very good.

That is interesting news. Have you done any tests with transferring to film?

Poke

Congrats Clive!

DVCpro50 IS a great codec! I'm really looking forward to the new panasonic camera that will allow me to shoot with it :).

Any chance we could get a trailer?

Awesome news on the premiere!
smiley_pac.gif

Did this showing include that new intro-dialogue?

Thanks Guys, lots of questions, so here are the answers.

Did this showing include that new intro-dialogue?

Yes it did and dispite my reservations about starting the film with a VO, it did actually tighten up the front end and made the film easier to watch.

Are there plans for a US Premiere? Is it going to cinemas there in UK?

The film still hasn't got a sales agent or interest from distributors. However, it's being entered for the Edinburgh Film Festival which would make a lot of difference. I'd like to see it get a US and UK cinema distribution, but as a low budget European Arthouse movie I think we'll be doing well to get European arthouse distribution and then straight to DVD.

Was your HD 720p or 1080p?
I am currently tearing my hair own deciding between 720p (shooting on Panasonic Varicam) or S16mm --> 1080p.

It was shot on 720p on the Panasonic Varicam and upconverted to 1080p during the online. If you are going for Panasonic Varicam be cautious if buying one of the early models because they had a software problem that mean that the varible frame rate system didn't properly tag the frames. They fixed the problem later on, but this undeclared fault meant that we had to line up 70% of the picture by eye in the online edit because the information on the edl and the master tapes didn't match. Having said that, the cmarea now has all the bugs worked out and the picture quality is stunning. It's my favorite camera. 1080p is definately going to be the standard, but in terms of quality the 720p is fab.

What medium did you use to project?

We projected off High Def using Panasonic's new High Def Projector.

So, when is the US premiere?

I don't know. If it makes it into a US festival I'll let everyone know.

PHP:
That is interesting news. Have you done any tests with transferring to film?

No yet. I think my business partner is hoping that a distributor will pick up the costs of a film transfer and as I'm currently living on macoroni cheese, I have to agree.

Any chance we could get a trailer?

I don't know if a trailer has been cut yet. Part of the problem here is that I now have no control or legal ownership of the film. If my ex business partner cuts a trailer, if he then let's me know that he's done that and if he then let's me have a copy then I'll find a way of posting it. The truth is that my ex-business partner did a lot of PR and press for the Premiere, conducted interviews with local papers and TV stations and I wasn't informed or invited to attend. Which indicates to me that it's unlikely that I'll be kept in the loop around trailers.

Back