Documentary Directors...

...I have seen there are some documentary filmmakers here, I would like to ask some questions about your production periods, especially if you did a music doc. How many Documentarians are out there? (on here?).

...I would like to get an idea as to what to expect.... :hmm:

....like, what was a normal day like? in terms of how much you actually were shooting? I don't expect to be constantly shooting considering the focus of the doc, but I am trying to find out how to use the time that I am not shooting...

.....more questions are forthcoming....

--spinner :cool:

I’ve done four. Each one was so different that I wouldn’t be able to give you acceptable answers to “what was a normal day like?”

There were no normal days on any of the docs I made.

I just shot a LOT of footage - trying to capture every moment of my subject. It seemed that every time I stopped rolling something interesting would happen and I would regret putting my camera down.

...the reason I ask is: if these individuals agree to do this project, I still want to be respectfull of thier time and not be constantly in thier faces. Its a documentary, but its not a reality tv type of project. I explain it to my friends as; take the Osbournes -- I want to see Ozzy bite the head off a bat. I don't want to watch him chase around a 'football dog' or get dissed by his kids.

...so I don't intend to set myself up to having to shoot everything, I want to not wear out my welcome and allow my subjects to have free time. Why should I be in their faces when all they want to do is have their dinner in peace or talk to their kids or what have you?.....

--spinner :cool:

Back