Camera suggestions $5k range

Hi everyone! :)

Looking for everyones opinions on cam's for $5k and under.
I'm looking to invest in one for future projects (feature type movies) but not sure what to buy. :bang: Pretty frustrated with the process. lol

Anyway I'd like to capture GREAT quality, be able to use lenses, XLR and oh great quality. haha

Really, I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks
coffee

Either the Panasonic DVX-100a or the Canon XL2. Both have dual XLR inputs, 24p modes, and the standard miniDV bells and whistles like Firewire and color/temperature adjustments. In terms of pros and cons, the DVX-100a is cheaper by about $1000 and has a flip-out LCD monitor, but the XL2 has interchangeable lenses. The lenses themselves run about $1000 each but some people find that feature important.

Thanks for your response beeblebrox..... You hit the nail on the head, those are the two cameras that I've been eyeing up for the past few weeks. I read someone's post saying that the XL2 stores it's memory on a chip but it only hold upto 7 minutes of work... Is this right?

You might be able to pickup a used DVCAM or DVC-PRO camera in that price range. Even used, it would be better than almost any miniDV camera. Some of those might not have firewire depending on the age of the camera.

coffee said:
I read someone's post saying that the XL2 stores it's memory on a chip but it only hold upto 7 minutes of work... Is this right?

They are referring to the as-yet-unleased Panasonic HVX camera. It shoots 1080p HD footage onto a flash memory card that holds up to 8 minutes of footage. There will be two models of the camera, a $6K version that holds one card, and a $10K version that holds two. All prices are approximate.

Beeblebrox said:
They are referring to the as-yet-unleased Panasonic HVX camera. It shoots 1080p HD footage onto a flash memory card that holds up to 8 minutes of footage. There will be two models of the camera, a $6K version that holds one card, and a $10K version that holds two. All prices are approximate.

There is a workaround for the uber spendy memory cards though.. you can plug into an external harddrive and record straight to disk (nice 'cuz then you don't have to spend time capturing!)

For my money I'd get the DVX. In fact, I plan to. I hope to have one by the end of August (maybe sooner!) Unless the next best thing comes out that's the camera I'll buy this summer.

Here's a good article that should help you: http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

Oh, and this thread too: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=5572

ahab said:
You might be able to pickup a used DVCAM or DVC-PRO camera in that price range. Even used, it would be better than almost any miniDV camera.

The DVC PRO cams they use at the tv station I work at are heavy, bulky and in comparison to the DVX, akward. Also DVC Pro tapes are expensive and need DVC PRO playback, whereas I intend to plug my firewire cable into my mac and go. Also, mini dv tapes you can get at Sams Club or Kmart or Walgreens, which are readily available. There are definite advantages to the DVX, btw it is state of the art for indie filmmakers and it is so light that I could swing it around on my finger....not that I would EVER!!!! do that....

--spinner :cool:

Will Vincent said:
There is a workaround for the uber spendy memory cards though.. you can plug into an external harddrive and record straight to disk (nice 'cuz then you don't have to spend time capturing!)

Theoretically, the flash cards should transfer footage at much faster than real time. Which is a good thing since most people probably won't be able to afford that many flash cards and you have to swtich them out every 8 to 16 minutes.

For my money I'd get the DVX. In fact, I plan to. I hope to have one by the end of August (maybe sooner!)

I agree. I think interchangeable lenses is an overrated feature for the vast majority of miniDV users. The extra lenses are expensive and you can use all of that dough on accessories for the DVX.

We used the XL1 and would go for the XL2 if getting a second camera. The XL2 has a built-n 16:9 ratio as well as the 24 fps option, saves on an anamorphic lens if you ever need that. I like the XL2 mostly because of it's versatility. I'd stay with mini-dv as well, if you've ever realized 1 hour before a shoot that you need tape you'll thank god you have a universally availble and cheap media.

Back