In need of Laptop advice....

I am planning to get a laptop computer to take on the road and begin preliminary editing on my project while I am in the field. I expect to be using final cut, so I will be getting a mac. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get on this laptop? Or some pro and cons about editing on a laptop? I will be using it to edit my documentary as well. I think that ' Cold Mountain' was edited on four G4 computers...

I want to make sure I have enough power on it to be able to edit this feature length project...
also has anyone heard anything about the technology of the G4 or if the G5 has a laptop now or is going to be getting one? I want to get the best that I can so that I can do what I need to do for my project....

--spinner :cool:

From what i've heard they rekon G4 laptops can't hack it when it comes to full on video editing. At the moment there are no G5 laptops and i don't know whether they are making any any time soon.

Spinner you shouldnt have any problems just get the best G4 laptop out with FCP 5.0 and you should'nt have any problems, if your worried about storage you can just buy an external hard drive. I have a G4 and it works great. It's a computer, and computers are at time going to give you hassle, but macs run forever. And on the G5 all i've heard is that it's going to be a while before it comes out. Well good luck. And P.S I love my G4.

Vegas,

what would you recommend in screen size? If I am going to be staring at the screen for as long as I am expecting, maybe I should get the 17" screen....

--spinner

I'd definitely recommend the 17" widescreen if you can afford it. If there's any single biggest drawback to a laptop for editing, it's the HDD speed. Get an external firewire or USB drive. You will also want to max out the RAM.

I just want to sound a word of caution about getting the 17" screen. Yes, the extra monitor space would be amazing, but I recommend you think carefully about how and where you plan on using the laptop. Do you want to travel a lot, take it on the set, edit in coffeeshops and airplane seats? A 17 incher might be too big and clunky for someone who's on the go and needs versatility. Even the 15 incher would be a stretch.

If you can afford it, and if you expect an active lifestyle, I would recommend you check out the 12 incher, which would allow you to edit virtually anywhere. When you need the extra monitor power, you can buy a flatscreen for your home, which is easy enough to connect to the Powerbook.

...I hadn't thought of that...I am going to be traveling ALOT but the 17" screen I was intending to use to do preliminary logging/editing and had not thought of getting a flat screen to do my editing once back at the "office". I am getting the mac to do final editing since final cut won't run on my pc...and I love my pc :(

...I will be probably traveling in a minivan or bus... I am kinda thinking that a 12" will be too small for what I want to be doing, but thanks for the advice and I will consider it when I make my purchase...

I wonder if you'd be able to hook up your Powerbook to your PC monitor. I've seen it done before -- PC monitors on Apple computers, so I imagine there'd be some solution. You'd basically get a dual-screen setup, which is of course perfect for video editing. Perhaps a 15" screen would be a nice balance?

But anyway, those are my two cents. Good luck with the purchase!

...that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should just get the mac monitor. It seems as though it would be akward to hook the pc up to the monitor. I was told by a friend that I might need to get an extra keyboard and mouse. If it costs, all of this, less than the 17", it is still a consideration. I need to decide quickly though, I need to shoot some stuff for my brothers band in Chicago this month....

--spinner

...okay, so I have pretty much decided that I would like to get the G4 mac 15" laptop. I think it would be a good idea to add a second monitor and keyboard so I have a whole system. Here's my question: What MUST I have on this G4? How much speed? How much space? What else should I be putting on this sucka?

...I am not as computer literate as other people, but I don't have to know how to build a computer to run it. I just want to make sure that if I need something on it, that I get it so I can edit the way I need to for my doc.

...I saw some used G4's on the B&H website, but I don't know if these had what I will be needing. I am looking at them though, because the price seems better than getting a new one, and I can get a few other things I'll be needing like a tripod and I will also need a wide angle lens for my DVX100a. If anyone can reccommend a inexpensive(ha) hardworking wide angle lens, I would appreciate that also...

...I know its alot of stuff, but It'll be MY stuff and I want it to do what I need it to...

...so much stuff, so little time....

Last edited:
Get the fastest G4 you can afford. Load it up with as much RAM as it will take. The G4 should support an external monitor and keyboard out of the box. I'd recommend an editor's keyboard if possible. You can also get labels that will fit a standard Mac keyboard.

You want a big system drive as well, at least 80 GB. That's for your programs only, but some of these proggies can get fairly sizable.

You'll also want to get a big external drive. I personally recommend a seperate enclosure and then adding your own HDD to it. That way you can swap it out when you're done with a project. Start with at least 200 GB. Believe me, it fills up fast.

Don't forget a good UPS and I'd also recommend a laptop cooler.

Back