• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Static" trailer

That's a KICKASS trailer. Wicked use of sound- you guys really picked the right music, and tones. And really great shots there.

What's the story on production?

wow, thank you for the feedback.
We are currently wrapping up on post. We just had a test screening, and it went extremely well. So the work seems to be nearly completed. Hopefully we can get the film into a few festivals. This is only my second short, and first attempt at any festival submissions, so I suppose I'll learn as I go when it comes to how those events work.
Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited:
I've seen this trailer before... and I know I've commented on it, too. Can't find that dang post though. :huh:

So recapping... looks very good, though it's 100% unclear as to what the menace is in the house. Now I know it's just a trailer, but a hint of what kind of peril they are facing would be handy.

Fun lighting, fun angled shots, sound seems good, reminiscent of Blair Witch in a few ways... I think I'd probably like it.

:cool:

Did you steal that score from End of Days? It's lame that I would even know that but I could swear that's from End of Days with Arnold. Here's the deal. The trailer moves a little too slow. There is one shot in particular where the guys are looking around and its just way too long. When you watch theatrical trailers they almost never hold a shot for that long. If they do it's a lot more dynamic then that. I would cut it down and move it along a little quicker. Just my two cents. Create more a rhythm. Like slow in the beginning, loud noise intensity rises then cuts off and goes back to subtle. You can use any combination really. The rhythm I see now is slow then it picks up to a certain level then drops back off. Maybe take keep you level rising constantly?

www.thecrossroadsoffate.com

Last edited:
I have to agree with Serano9... the pacing is a little slow. I understand it's a horror film but even the moody long steady shots need to chopped by a second or two.

Also, I didn't care for the guy looking through the window saying, "Hello?" I think we got the idea without it. But that may be more a personal preference since I don't like excessive dialog.

Otherwise, it looks good. The music created a nice atmosphere, the pacing at the end of the preview made the film that much more interesting with the white flashes and such. Nice job.

thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

zen- thanks, and about possibly revealing more of the "menace" in the house. Unfortunately, with the structure of the story, everything builds up to the revelation of the "darkness" w/in the house. So I felt that showing any glimpse of it would play my hand too soon so to speak. In other words, if I showed it in the trailer, watching the film may be a foregone conclusion in a sense.

lux- thanks for the compliment, We shot the entire film w/ a Canon XL1s, and some with a low quality 8mm (which wasnt in the trailer and was used for effect in select shots).

serano- I appreciate the input. I can see how you would feel the pace was a little bit slow. Thanks for the comments.

Poke- my apologies

Thanks again for the input guys, it means a lot.

HomerS3 said:
Poke- my apologies

Just don't let it happen again or...
fryingpan.gif

I can't place my finger exactly on what I did not like about the trailer. Maybe it was the voice of the actor, maybe it was the shots being held so long, maybe it was that red stuff behind the text. The sound was good, and the music fit. The lighting looked pretty durn good in spots, but bad in others.

Poke

Back