Film Prints...

Hi!

I have a question about prints...

Once my film is complete, I will need a print of the finished product. How many will I need?
What is an 'answer print'?

Will I need a print for every film festival I enter this doc into?

Maybe these are dumb questions, but its dumber to act like you know when you don't. What
will I need?

--spinner

Some festivals accept prints or other formats, like Digital Beta or DVD. You may not need a print.

spinner said:
Hi!

I have a question about prints...

Once my film is complete, I will need a print of the finished product. How many will I need?
What is an 'answer print'?
The answer print is sometimes referred to as an A/B Answer Print. It is the lab timer's first attempt at combining the elements from the negative A/B rolls and sound mix into a single print. You will check this print for color corrections, how fades and dissolves look, and correct sound sync.

After screening the answer print you will note any needed corrections and send these notes to the lab. They will be incorporated and a second answer print will be struck.

spinner said:
Will I need a print for every film festival I enter this doc into?
As our founder mentioned, you may not need a print at all. You should start checking into the festivals you want to enter and find out their submission policy. For safety, I suggest you strike at least two prints above the amount you need for festivals.

Will the extra prints cost as much as the first one?

I am going to attempt to hit all....well, as many as possible...of the 'important' film festivals...

...maybe I should revise my budget...again....:hmmm:

--spinner

directorik said:
... For safety, I suggest you strike at least two prints above the amount you need for festivals.

If your neg is at the lab, you can always call them and strike prints as needed! Save money and don't make a bunch of prints until you find out what festivals you get accepted to. The # of prints you need depends, of course, on the festival schedules. I made the mistake of ordering 5 prints but only needed 2 prints when the schedules of 2 festivals overlapped. For my 7 minute short, each addition 35mm print cost about $200. In the end, I only needed 2 prints for 4 festivals, and so spent $600 more than necessary. Okay, well maybe having a "safety" print is a good idea, so $400 more than necessary. I only decided to apply to a couple of specific festivals though. Of course, you may decide to blanket 40 festivals w/ your film, but wait until you get those acceptance emails before you strike a bunch of prints..

Last edited:
filmscheduling said:
If your neg is at the lab, you can always call them and strike prints as needed! Save money and don't make a bunch of prints until you find out what festivals you get accepted to. Of course, you may decide to blanket 40 festivals w/ your film, but wait until you get those acceptance emails before you strike a bunch of prints..

Thanks, I'll check all this out. Not that I have even started shooting yet. I am still in development stages but I hope to start shooting in October. I may have a small shoot for another project in June. I'll get to
try out my new panasonic video cam.

--spinner

filmscheduling said:
In the end, I only needed 2 prints for 4 festivals, and so spent $600 more than necessary. Okay, well maybe having a "safety" print is a good idea, so $400 more than necessary. I only decided to apply to a couple of specific festivals though.
And $400 well spent if you find another festival to submit to while all the other prints are out - or if some local prodCo wants to screen your film.

Each filmmakers experience will be different - but I found that having one or two extra prints has its advantage. Some labs will give you volume discount - say you make 5 release prints of your first run, rather then 2. And sometimes striking one print in more expensive than striking several.

I've found it's better to have one too many, then one too few.

directorik said:
And $400 well spent if you find another festival to submit to while all the other prints are out - .

WHERE! were you able to find a print for $400 !?! Everywhere I look prints seem to cost a couple
hundred dollars per minute. Am I reading your post wrong?

--spinner

Most festivals don't require a 35mm print these days or, rather, are able to screen BetaSP, DVD, etc.

Some festivals serve as "Official Academy Screenings" and those do require 35mm prints. For instance, if you were going to submit your documentary to DocFest (I think that's what it's called) - the festival associated with the International Documentary Association, they did (last time I checked) require a print.

Good luck!

spinner said:
WHERE! were you able to find a print for $400 !?! Everywhere I look prints seem to cost a couple
hundred dollars per minute. Am I reading your post wrong?

--spinner

Clarification: To make the original blowup & first print I spent over $2k but each additional print was $200. This was for a 7 minute film. Alpha Cine labs, Seattle.. great lab.

Thanks for the clarification....boy, am I in trouble... :)

by the way, I just sent off my first grant proposal request. I am sending one off to Sundance on tomorrow......wish me luck!

--spinner

Back