• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

script idea... suggestions, please

Hello! I've had this idea for a script nagging me, and I'd love some feedback on whether it would make a good story or not...

The story starts off with a man with Asperger's Syndrome, kind of like Autism but I won't go into the details now... he gets this letter from a cult who have this machine that somehow cures people of diseases and birth defects and whatnot, but they only allow people who they think are "chosen by God" to be healed... so he checks it out, and they "heal" him from his syndrome. This gives him a few things he's never had before, like the realization that a girl is interested in him, etc... but it also takes away from his personality, since he has lived his entire life with AS. Five years down the road, he meets a little boy with AS, and finds out that his parents have received the same letter from the cult that he got five years ago... after some serious thought, however, they decide not to "heal" the little boy of AS, because they realize that God made him that way for a reason. As this begins to sink in with the man, he decides to go back to the place where he was "healed" and demand that they change him back. He tells his best friend his secret, and it turns out that fifteen years ago his friend was sent the same letter... he had a deathly disease, and was cured of it. They both go back to get "uncured", but the cult members kick them out... however, one of them, who had just earlier decided to leave the cult, secretly changes them back.

That's just the basics, I'm still working some things out, but please let me know if it's a good idea, or if it's a pointless storyline, and so on. Thanks!

Kind of sounds like Flowers for Algernon (sp?), but with reverse logic, namely it's better to be yourself with all the faults that god gave you, than be cured and a different person.

If this is in fact what you're trying to say, I think you'd have to walk a fine line. On one hand, it seems like you're saying people with diseases like autism should be accepted for who they are -- which is a good message. But, I've known people who have kids with autism and think that the disease robs them of part of their child. I think it the tricky thing would be convincing the audience that he was more himself with the disease than without it.

There has to be a negative trait for the character to want to return to his former state... perhaps an agreement could be part of it?
Like, perhaps the agreement with the cult turns out to be his soul, and he wants it back?
Or maybe the cult has been taking the people they "didn't deem worthy" and using them to heal people... a la, using thier minds to heal the "chosen" people, and then taking thier now almost mindless forms as slaves for an underground "lava plant".
I think there has to be something that forces the character to decide to return. Perhaps he finds he is never happy, never satisfied... something feels wrong..
I dunno- I like your idea though- really neat. I'd love to hear updates on your development!

perhaps he should feel the same as everyone else - just some average Joe - before he was special - now there is nothing special to him - i don't know - dangerous ground as Tom says above. keep me informed please!

Hard to tell from a quick overview but I don't think it's a pointless storyline. Any storyline, when properly developed, is worthwhile - and it all starts with a concept. Just like the one you described.

Work on it. Work out the details. Play with the characters and see where they take the story.

Thanks for the ideas, they're helping a lot! I'm working on a draft, and I'll keep you updated, I promise. :)
I didn't even know about Flowers for Algernon, I'll have to read into that and make sure I don't steal anything...

Good idea, but I agree with both the point that it's a dangerous line to walk, and that of the idea of a defect in the "cure" that causes him to be un-cured and have had an idea for the latter problem. Don't let me butt in and start writing ur storyline for you, but from what I understand of AS, the sufferer often displays an unusual talent for a certain field, e.g. music orv whatever, maybe when he is cured he can no longer perform in this field, and it was his life etc. so he misses it. Just an idea.

Back